Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Braking Problem, I'm stumped...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:40 PM

Braking Problem, I'm stumped...

I am 99% sure I have had a warped rotor or 2 for a few weeks now, but I havent fixed it yet due to money issues. Two days ago, I replaced both endlinks in my rear sway bar because one was broken off. After that I started hearing a faint but noticable squeal/grind coming from the rear of the car. Now, whenever I am coming to a stop, the whole car shakes, there is a definite grind, along with the faint squeal that was happening before.

Also today when I was backing out of my parking space, the car just stopped like I had hit a curb behind me, but there was nothing there. When I put it in reverse it moves a few feet and then just stops abruptly. I can overpower it if I try, but then I can tell there is a lot of interference going on. I have no clue what to look for, any help is appreciated.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:12 AM

Do you have 4 wheel disc? I am guessing that you do. It sounds like your pads are worn to he point of metal on metal. I had a similar problem once on my rear discs,the caliper carrier was hitting the back of the rotor and chewed it up. A couple of spacers fixed this, but your problem sounds likea recent development. A caliper might be seizing up or something. I would take the wheels off one by one and check the rotors. I'll bet you will find one that is pretty buggered up.

Will
Old 02-09-2007, 06:39 AM

Check The Brakes!
Old 02-10-2007, 02:53 PM

check the rear end,spider gears,check all mounting bolts for brakes.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:27 PM

You could have a broken tooth on the ring gear and the tooth floating around may be catching and binding the gear up on occasion.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:56 PM

Weather its the rear or the brakes, I would HIGHLY reccomend not driving it anymore until you get it figured out.

Try the rear brakes first since they are easy. Take the wheel off and look at the brake pads condition. If the pad is non existant, then you probably have found the culprit. While you are looking, run your finger from the center of the rotor to the outer edge. If you can feel moderate to deep groves, or a gradual slope, its time to change the rotors as well. If it feels pretty much smooth, you are probably fine.

If that doesn't help, it's probably the rear. Doh!