Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Braking sucks BIG time this or these cars!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Banned

I have stock brakes on all 4 corners and manual MC.....stops like a dream everytime.

I never had a complaint about the 4th gen brakes
Old 11-14-2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer

If you hate the car that much, why are you wasting your time on it?
unless you wanna buy me another car, I will have to stick with this!

sometimes you don't like what you drive but you just have to. i do like the car itself but i am sick of the issues i had and i am still having.

thanks!!

Last edited by DIYAR21; 11-14-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:26 PM

I have used Hawk pads on my Camaro and liked them. Stone cold braking was good and hauling the car to a stop at high speeds was good. Now when I used a set of Performance Friction carbon pads. The cold braking was terrible, you had to heat them up to make them work, but once up to operating temps they would dam near launch you through the window.

I don't know if all carbon pads act the way mine did but slow speed hard stops with the ones I had really sucked. Luckily I never had to panic stop with the carbons installed, if I did though, I probably would have rear ended someone. And yes I did break in the pads the correctly and retried the break in process two times along with putting fresh cross hatching on the rotors, thinking that I did something wrong and glazed the pads or rotors.

Last edited by qa767; 11-14-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:03 PM

mine breaks just fine. they work good enough to do some phat brake stands
Old 11-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DIYAR21
unless you wanna buy me another car, I will have to stick with this!

sometimes you don't like what you drive but you just have to. i do like the car itself but i am sick of the issues i had and i am still having.

thanks!!
Braking sucks BIG time this or these cars!!!!!
Just don't degrade the entire 4th generation of F-Bodys because yours has a lot of problems. All you had to do to avoid that was post "Braking sucks on my car!!!!" (and post it on the correct forum). But that wouldn't have been as dramatic and sensational.

Buy your own car.

And post on the correct forum.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by DIYAR21
I will pass. there is no way i will spend over 1-2gs on this car for only brakes. it is not worth it. the car is peice of junk at this moment with oil, coolant leak, a/c dont work, motor vibrates crazy, 134k miles. not worth it man. I found 4 slotted and drilled rotors with pads all over for less than $250.00 shipped and i will get that kit. it should be better than nothing!
OK. After reading some of your remarks, Slotted/drilled rotors are not going to help...... Save the money and get OEM rotors, Brembo, as stated earlier if possible, and a good set of ceramic or semi-metallic pads.....

I use OEM rotors w/Raybestos ceramic pads front and semi-metallic rear....

Then use the money you save to fix the other items......
Old 11-14-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Just don't degrade the entire 4th generation of F-Bodys because yours has a lot of problems. All you had to do to avoid that was post "Braking sucks on my car!!!!" (and post it on the correct forum). But that wouldn't have been as dramatic and sensational.

Buy your own car.

And post on the correct forum.
The only reasion i said this or these cars cuz i wasn't sure if only mine had this problem or all the 4th gens stop like that and the reasion i wasn't sure was cuz stupid dealer mechanic drove it after he installed the pads and he said it stops fine and thats it they way they are but when i hop in other cars such as old piece of junk 94 corolla or a a stupid 88 fox body stang, those things stops faster. thats why i was not sure and confused if all these cars stops like that.

what are you seriously trying to tell me? I am here to bash f-bodies?

please try to see my posts on ls1.com, ls1tech.com, automotiveforums/firebird section.

I am a fan, not hater!!!

thank you sir!!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 PM

So, I think it's just the car you have. Everyone's said it before, but try different pads, change your brake fluid, turn down your rotors if they're warped.

I have stock rotors and stock lines on mine, but do have Hawk HPS pads. My car's braking is not that bad. It probably ain't great compared to some lightweight import, but I have full confidence when I brake and it's predictable for me. It's not as quick to brake as my 335i, but by no means is it something like how you describe yours.

I think a "normal" functioning 4th gen F-body brakes better that what you describe.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by WestCoast96Z28

I think a "normal" functioning 4th gen F-body brakes better that what you describe.
I thought so cuz my car's braking is dangerously bad. I will try to machine my rotors if there is any thread left and put hawk performance pads up front and change the fluid and see if it gets any better.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:21 AM

LOL man, if your car is stopping worse than an 88' Fox, you have SERIOUS issues...

I have owned a few Foxs, and driven a ton...the brakes on those things are terrible, if not awful.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by n2ceptor
OK. After reading some of your remarks, Slotted/drilled rotors are not going to help......
Drilled/slotted rotors never do anything for you performance wise.

DIYAR,
My advise is the same as many others.
CHANGE YOUR FLUID!!!!
Brake fluid is hydrophyllic. In other words it draws moisture and then can't take heat. It will boil, and you probably have the same fluid that was in the car when it rolled off the assembly line.
Air bubbles don't cause fade as stated before. They will cause a soft pedal feeling. Fade is the effect of the fluid getting too hot and boiling and then losing it's hydraulic pressure or the pads getting too hot. If you aren't smelling burnt pads, then it is most likely your fluid.

Also while it is up, check and make sure all your calipers are working.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:25 PM

My car stops great now that I have the C-5 13" setup from Kore3 and it wasn't 1k - 2k it was $750 with the cross drilled/slotted rotors and I also installed drilled/slotted rear rotors and new pads all around for another $250. The car stops on a dime with 10 cents change.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:36 AM

But it isn't the holes and slots that make it brake better.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:58 PM

You're right it's the size of the rotors, type of pads, braided hoses and the design of the calipers that make the biggest difference. The holes and slots look cool though, but my car stops much shorter now and it will do it repeatedly where it wouldn't before.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:56 AM

Not to steel the thread, but how do you like the Kore3 brackets? How did everything "fit"? I've been looking at their kits for over a year now. Also which pads did you go with?

Quick Reply: Braking sucks BIG time this or these cars!!!!!