Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

break master cylinder and booster question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:47 PM

break master cylinder and booster question

Did a search and nothing relivant came up. Alright I was working on my car over the weekend and noticed my master cylinder was leaking all over my booster so I"m gonna replace them both just to be on the safe side. My question is are the master cylinder and boosters the same for all year f-bodies or is there a difference between the 93-97 and 98-02. Also is there a difference between the v6s and v8s? I only ask becsue I'm preparing for my break up grade that going to happen sooner or later. I'm swaping over tot he 98-02 rear disk breaks and also plan on going witht he c5 break conversion kit from umi. I'm just trying to save myself from having to buy another master cylinder and booster later on down the road. But if Ihave to stay with my current set up due tot he fact that I still have rear drum breaks its no big deal I"m just trying to plan for the future.

Thanks
Gary
Old 01-26-2006, 09:36 AM

Re: break master cylinder and booster question

My 95 Z28 master cylinder started to leak at about 145K miles. No need to replace the booster, just the master cylinder. I'm running the Baer 13" Track Kit that's modeled after the C4 brake setup and still using the stock master cylinder setup.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:50 AM

I agree with OBE1 you don't need to replace your brake booster if your master cylinder is bad. But if you insist then go ahead. The brake booster on all 4th gen (93-02) fbodies is the same, regardless of motor. I called a local chevy dealer and asked, as I had the same question.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:25 PM

But are the master cylinders different between the 93-97 and 98-02? In either bore or stoke or like pressure output? Besides I think break fluid got past the seal on the booster and onto the diaphram so I"m just going to replace both just to be on the safe side. I'm very picky about my breaks and I like to be able to stop my car and not pary that it stops. But obe1 how did you break pedal feel before and after the swap to the bear set up? The only thing I"m really concered with it how the pedal feels. I like them to feel like they are very strong like my pedal is now. I"m just kind of concerned that if I go with the swap the pedal will get really mushy like on chevy trucks.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:59 PM

I've never had a mushy pedal feel with any of my setups; that's usually a sign that you have air in your system or need to change your brake fluid as it has absorbed air over time. Even with a leaky (weeping) master cylinder, my brake pedal felt firm. The stock rubber lines that route to the calipers can be replaced with SS lines to firm up brake pedal too.