Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Brembo rotors...worth buying???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 12:39 AM

Brembo rotors...worth buying???

i need new rotors...i want cross-drilled or at least slotted...i saw these brembo's and they're only $120 each...do these have any problems and are they worth buying???
Old 01-31-2005, 12:59 AM

Re: Brembo rotors...worth buying???

I have the Brembo Slotted rotors and they are great. Just get some Hawk HPS pads to go with them1
Old 01-31-2005, 11:38 AM

I put the Brembo / Hawk combo on my wife's car - they work great. My buddy has them on his 2002 Z, and has good things to say about them (and he is hard on brakes ).

Don't waste your $$ on the slotted / drilled rotors - stick with the solids. For the street, they are not needed. Granted - they look good, but performance wise the average person doesn't need it. If you just have to get them, stick with the slotted - no cracking between holes.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by bubba353z
I put the Brembo / Hawk combo on my wife's car - they work great. My buddy has them on his 2002 Z, and has good things to say about them (and he is hard on brakes ).

Don't waste your $$ on the slotted / drilled rotors - stick with the solids. For the street, they are not needed. Granted - they look good, but performance wise the average person doesn't need it. If you just have to get them, stick with the slotted - no cracking between holes.
you say they work great and there's no problems but then you say don't waste the money??? which should i do...
Old 01-31-2005, 05:14 PM

Sorry for being unclear.... We are both using the plain rotors - no slots / drilling needed.

Last edited by bubba353z; 01-31-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:08 PM

does anyone have any link for hawk gps pads?
Old 01-31-2005, 08:36 PM

Don't know about a GPS pad, but the HPS pads can be found at Tire Rack
Old 01-31-2005, 08:38 PM

Hawk HPS pads are cheapest at www.thunderracing.com since they have a sale going that ends TODAY. 1/31/05. I just ordered my Hawk HPS pads yesterday.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Old 01-31-2005, 10:38 PM

well if i don't get slotted or drilled rotors wouldn't normal parts store brand rotors be good enough??? what's special about the regular brembo rotors? thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 11:44 PM

In my opinion, it's more in the pads than the rotors.

Try some cheap rotors. If they warp, or don't work well, spend a few extra $$$.

Dan
Old 02-01-2005, 10:05 AM

Personally I suspect that Brembo uses higher quality steel or whatever metal it is in the rotors. I also think they have a better casting process. Personally, I am in hot, then cold weather all the time, and I KILL my brakes. I am super hard on the brakes all the time. So far, over 10k miles and my Brembo rotos are holding up GREAT. I got just the blanks, which were super cheap, and I highly Recommend them. ONly thing is that they are not zinc washed, so they are super rusty. My only complaint.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by stereomandan
In my opinion, it's more in the pads than the rotors.

Try some cheap rotors. If they warp, or don't work well, spend a few extra $$$.

Dan
I think Dan's right, in that pad compound has more effect than the rotors (assuming no diameter changes). There are many discussions on pad compounds on the web, and I'm no expert - so I'll leave it to you to find them

The rotor comes into play when above normal heating is experienced. The drilled rotors can dissipate heat faster in racing conditions - where rotor life is not an issue. The Brembo's seem to be better formed and ground, than the AutoZone specials that most people buy.

Take some free advice (the price is right) - if you have the $, buy the Brembo's and skip the cheap stuff. The extra $ is worth the time and hassle you save from buying cheap stuff. I used to replace brakes on my wife's old car regularly, because it was a POS and I didn't want to sink the $ into it for the good stuff - but that got old quick. On her new car, I put the Brembo / HPS combo on - and I'll never go back.

Last edited by bubba353z; 02-01-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:52 AM

For the most part, rotors are rotors and one dosn't brake better than another. More expensive rotors are made with better casting processes and may be more resistant ro warping when hot. Most of the performance increase comes from quality pads. The Hawk HPS pads are awsome and I highly recomend them. Don't go with higher performance pads because they are designed for track use and don't work good until they get hot. Normal street use will never get (or keep) them them hot enough.

I installed Powerslot rotors on my car because they look cool, I needed rotors and I got them for a good price from Ebay.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by bubba353z
I think Dan's right, in that pad compound has more effect than the rotors (assuming no diameter changes). There are many discussions on pad compounds on the web, and I'm no expert - so I'll leave it to you to find them

The rotor comes into play when above normal heating is experienced. The drilled rotors can dissipate heat faster in racing conditions - where rotor life is not an issue. The Brembo's seem to be better formed and ground, than the AutoZone specials that most people buy.

Take some free advice (the price is right) - if you have the $, buy the Brembo's and skip the cheap stuff. The extra $ is worth the time and hassle you save from buying cheap stuff. I used to replace brakes on my wife's old car regularly, because it was a POS and I didn't want to sink the $ into it for the good stuff - but that got old quick. On her new car, I put the Brembo / HPS combo on - and I'll never go back.
would it be any worst if i got the drilled brembos? and what are the best pads possible i can get for the 95'
Old 02-01-2005, 06:37 PM

The problem with a drilled rotor is that they tend to crack in between the holes. Once that happens, you basically have to trash the rotor - they really can't be fixed. Drilled rotors look cool, but aren't worth the extra $ for the street.

Brake pads are kind of a personal taste thing. I'm having good luck with Hawk HPS pads, and people here seem to agree. My buddy loves his Carbotechs (2002 Z-28) and some like the EBC's Greenstuff (although I've heard they are dusty and can be noisy). RE has a good point on the compounds - using a track compound on the street can get you hurt. They need heat to work properly. I'm going to do the Brembo / HPS on all 4 corners of my Z, this spring.

Do a search and you'll probably find dozens of thread discussing pads, compounds, etc. Good Luck!!

Quick Reply: Brembo rotors...worth buying???