Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Brembo vs. PowerSlot Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 10:06 PM

Brembo vs. PowerSlot Rotors

So I am in the market for new brakes. I would like to get something that looks nice and performs well. On eBay they have the Brembo package for all 4 wheels slotted/drilled for 230 shipped. The PowerSlots are like 110-120 each at the sponsors on this website. Is there a advantage with the Power Slots over the Brembos? I have never heard of people Power Slots before. Brembo I know has a pristine racing pedigree. All said and done I want a good reliable rotor that wont warp and look good. I was going to go with the Hawk HPS Ceramics as well. I hear nothing but good about them.

BTW: I know that drilled/slotted rotors are inferior to blanks. I just want that look
Old 06-11-2006, 12:10 PM

Re: Brembo vs. PowerSlot Rotors

The Hawk HPS pads are not ceramic. They are a Ferro-Carbon formula, and yes they are great. I love mine.

If you want bling, then you are sacrificing performance a little. Cross drilled rotors tend to crack. If you want the look, but a more robust rotor, just get slotted rotors. Powerslot rotors are good rotors.

Rotors play less of a roll than pads anyway. My C5 front rotors are $18 blanks, and have not warped or failed at all. Most people warp rotors from using them wrong. Make sure you bed your pads/rotors properly, and let the rotors cool if you've jsut run them hard before you park your car.

Dan
Old 06-11-2006, 05:21 PM

My bad, I thought they were ceramic. So does the Ferro-Carbon last longer than ceramic? I was looking for a good mix between longevity and performance and of course price.

Yea I know that the cross drilled does hurt the integrity of the rotor. I just think (not that they are), cross drilled and slotted is performance looking. I mean you see them on all the big shots (Enzo, Z06 ect..). And that is the look that I want. I dont plan on having 60-0 competitions anytime soon!

Also what is the correct way to "bed" pads?
Old 06-11-2006, 07:29 PM

In general, carbon-metallic aka ferro-carbon are going to be more performance oriented. There are getting to be more ceramic based performance pads though. Ceramic pads are usually harder on rotors.

If you want the look, get the rotors. You're going at this with your eyes open unlike many on here who fall for the propaganda. So if you like the look go for it. Only time I'm opposed to them is when people are saying they're doing it for better braking.

What company is selling these Brembos for so cheap? Be careful because they may not really be Brembo.

Powerslot has been around for a while. I'm not sure who's blanks they use.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:25 PM

The rotors are here. The people's feedback seem to be positive, there was a guy who just bought them for a 93-97 that left positive feedback. This company also advertises in MotorTrend (so does the turbonator I know...) so they are at least established.

So the Ferro-Carbons are more performance oriented, easier on rotors than ceramics and I would lead to dust like crazy, wear on the faster side?
Old 06-11-2006, 11:45 PM

HAWK makes HPS Cermaic pads. They are different from their normal HPS pads. As far as which is better, i got no clue really. The general consensus seems to be that ceramic is alot less dusty and generally quieter, but ive really havent noticed much of a difference.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:12 AM

ceraminc pads are a waste unless you have hardened rotors that are made to have ceramic pads like what come on the prosche's and such. if not, ceramic pads will eat regular rotors like crazy, especially the made in china rotors that some auto parts stores sell. super thin= super ****.
as far as the brembo rotors...they might not be fakes. brembo makes for "Qaulitee" which is a brand name. they are much like any other stock rotor. when you buy the cheap "qualitee" brakes, they send you brembo stickers. they could be a drilled and slotted version of the qualitee's which are no better or worse than any other NOM rotors.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:25 PM

Ya, I'd suggest doing a search for WPD on ls1tech. Their Brembos never come in brembo boxes. They're supposed to be Brembo blanks that they drill/slot.

I got my rotors and pads from them. They're Bendix. They are holding up well and work well, but their customer service leaves MUCH to be desired. It took me 2 weeks of emails and calls and getting bounced around between 3 people to get them to fix an overcharge and reimbursement for something they didn't send.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:27 PM

if you do ceramic pads get cheapo rotors. the ceramix eat them up bad. i went through 2 sets of rotors before i got half way through my pads when i had my raybestos ceramix. they did their job in stopping without dust or fade. but my rotors felt it. the dust on my wheels wasnt from the pads...it was from the rotors.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:04 AM

I'm running Power Slot rotors on my 94 with 13" C5 rotors on the front. I used to have the Power Slots on front and rear till I upgraded trhe rear to LS1 brakes. I've abused the crap out of the Power Slots and haven't had any issues. But the rotors I have on the rear now (till I can afford rear LS1 Power Slots) are $20 each cheap Raybestos Rotors from RockAuto.Com. I've also abused the crap out of these and haven't warped one yet.

As far as the Brembo rotors go. They used to make premo top of the line stuff, but lately they have been known to sell low priced crap to draw sales from people wanting more bling than performance.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:55 PM

warped my c5 fronts the other day. it rained like crazy here and i hit a puddle...also, if you do the c5 thing, dont forget the "hardware kit" that seems to disappear from most lists. it's the shims for the abutment bracket...my pads rattle when i hit bumps. i havent got mine in yet, when i do though...it will stop the rattle
Old 06-18-2006, 10:59 PM

Well I did a LONG search here on CZ28 and I am going with Duralast Cheapies. LS1 brake upgrade was never really a option for me due to tight budget. I just read too many bad things about drilled rotors from a reliability standpoint. I dont want to be replacing rotors all the time in the name of looking good. The duralast seemed to be the best of the rest, so thats what a I went with. It was like 100 for all 4 rotors at autozone and 120 for Hawk HPS pads at Thunder Racing.

Next question is to paint the calipers or not