Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Are broken and bumpy roads bad for suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 10:33 PM

Are broken and bumpy roads bad for suspension?

For our type of cars (muscle cars)? I drove to a buddy's house who lives on a ranch and I didn't realize how bumpy and uneven his dirt road was, I did the whole thing under 10 mph but I'm just wondering if our suspensions could be damaged by these types of roads even if we're going slow. What about streets that have more patches than a scarecrow and leave uneven patch bumps all over the street? I know that we don't drive trucks but are our cars made to handle these types of roads?
Old 07-31-2004, 11:10 PM

Re: Are broken and bumpy roads bad for suspension?

Thats what I wanna know. I'm about to move out more toward the county area in which theirs a crappy 2 lane road with pot holes everywhere...the road is 45 mph too But their are plans to fix the road. This rural area is the area that the city is expanding too thats going to be majorly developed
Old 07-31-2004, 11:26 PM

Well, yes, they are bad for suspension (and any fillings you may have ), but, unless there are some serious potholes, the majority of "damage" is actually just increased wear on bushings, etc.

Due to some of the roads around here, my power window motor fell off its perch in the door (rivets sheared off). Of course, during that time my prevailing philosophy was "get over that section as quickly as possible!".

Just take it easy and you'll be fine...until the windshield glass separates from its mounting.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:30 PM

From what I hear, GTO's do really well in bumpy/broken roads.

I'm used to any car/truck that has a really firm suspension as being relatively good off-road....I think F-bodies might be one of the only exceptions.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:41 PM

the faster you go over the bump the better, most slow down for train tracks i speed up. bumps are really not a big deal but pot holes destory your alignment.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by dnz28
the faster you go over the bump the better, most slow down for train tracks i speed up. bumps are really not a big deal but pot holes destory your alignment.
The faster you go over bumps the faster your wheel barings will need repaired
Old 08-01-2004, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by dnz28
And bend your wheel

<----bent wheel club
Old 08-02-2004, 02:38 PM

ttt
Old 08-02-2004, 05:51 PM

yea, just take them easy.. unless they are anything huge, you won't really be doing any damage, just wearing things like bushings and shocks at an accelerated rate.. That and all the squeeks and rattles you'll hear..

Bad shocks may exagerate the problem too.. with a bad shock, it won't be able to dampen the movements correctly, so after bump is passed, you may get that bobbing effect, in the extreme case..

really stiff shocks can also firm things up too, especially on the rebound...

This is why you have to ask yourself, yea, I'd like a really stiff and super responsive suspension.. but do I really want to live with it?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ken S

Bad shocks may exagerate the problem too.. with a bad shock, it won't be able to dampen the movements correctly, so after bump is passed, you may get that bobbing effect, in the extreme case..

really stiff shocks can also firm things up too, especially on the rebound...

This is why you have to ask yourself, yea, I'd like a really stiff and super responsive suspension.. but do I really want to live with it?

Well, my car is brand new (see sig) and I've had the most unfortunate driving conditions with all of the construction going around where i work. I had to drive this one road about 5 min in 1st gear because the jerking and swaying was so bad.....didn't hit anything hard (was going like 5 mph) but the car was just all over the place. Also is it normal for a car to have a slight lean to one side? Even if it's not really noticable (unless you measure the distance from the wheel to the body)?