Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

bump and rebound dampening relative to spring rate

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 09:18 AM

bump and rebound dampening relative to spring rate

I was looking at a post about Bilstien HD's vs SLP revalved Bilstiens and the prevailing logic was that the HD's were the better choice with stock springs.

Then I was reading a post by Sam Strano from a while back where he indicated that the Bilstien HD's were slightly underdampened for his taste with the stock springs...

The specs for the SLP's show lower compression dampening and higher rebound dampening when compared to regular Bilstien HDs. I have read that the SLP's are valved for the SLP Eibach springs which offer less travel (lowering) and higher spring rates than stock.

So the question is, as spring rate increases, should bump dampening increase or decrease and how much relative to the additional rebound dampening?

Also just curious if anyone is using the SLP Bilstiens with stock springs...

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-31-2006, 10:27 AM

Re: bump and rebound dampening relative to spring rate

bump
Old 05-31-2006, 10:43 AM

It's damping, not dampening.... we aren't making anything wet.

SLP shocks have more rebound (in front), but less compression damping (in front). Rears are the very same HD's as you get when buy a set of 4 HD's.

I wouldn't recommend SLP shocks for stock springs. Some things are better, some are not. Lowering compression damping isn't better, that controls unsprung weight, which hasn't gotten any lighter than stock. Those shocks adn the springs that they are made for are a ride oriented upgrade that handles better. That's compared to a handling upgrade that rides pretty well. Bottom line, if you want a Level 1 kit over other options, fine. But those shocks with stock springs is not a matched set.

If ride is the concern with stock springs, do HD's. If handling is the concern, the either we do Revalves speced to not lower the compresssion but add rebound, or Koni's.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:07 PM

Thanks Sam... I didn't realize the proper term was damping...

I also didn't realize that bump damping controls the unsprung weight but now that I think about it... It makes sense.

Your posts are always very informative.
Thanks again,
Steve