Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Bump Stop Removal??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 11:41 PM

Bump Stop Removal??

My wheels should be here this week and I want to go ahead and get my wheel wells ready by the time they get here.I went with the 17x11 in the rear with the 315 tire.I remember seeing a pic of what I need to do to the bump stop,anybody have that pic handy that they can post.I was also hoping someone could explain how I need to bend my inner fender lip with a baseball bat or any other methods their are.A pic would be nice as well if some one has one.
Thanks,
JE
Old 08-31-2005, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Re: Bump Stop Removal??

Which offset did you get with the 17x11 wheels? The 50mm offset will generally not need the fender lip rolled. The problem is the inner fender. The 37mm offset will put the wheel under the fender lip, requiring a "roll".

You just need to cut/grind the outer edge off the jounce bumper bracket:

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun...A/FendMas2.jpg
Old 08-31-2005, 12:26 PM

I went with the 7.75" backspace.This backspace will require the inner lip to be rolled right?
Thanks for the pic.
JE
Old 08-31-2005, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Sounds like you got the 17x11 TT II's with the 45mm offset (7.75" backspace). That will probably require rolling the fender lip.

There is a tool that is sold by The Eastwood Company (and others) that bolts to the hub using the stock studs, and has a lever and a roller that is forced against the fender lip to gradually "roll" it up. Its an expensive tool (close to $300?), but I've heard nothing but great results from it. Maybe you could find someone that owns one, a body shop, etc.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:17 PM

I plan to install 11x17s with 315s on the back of my third gen. Do the same procedures apply, or are more modifications required, also what would be an appropriate back spacing to keep the tires as tucked in as possible. P.S. the car will be at stock ride height. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:41 PM

I went with some Boyd C. wheels with the 7.75 backspace.Should I try them on and see if the wheels hit the inner fender lip first or is it a sure thing?Wonder why this was moved?The drivetrain forum is where I always read and asked questions about wheels?
Thanks,
JE
Old 09-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Administrator

I moved it because the question deals with "suspension" (bump stops) and "wheels and tires". I seldom see "wheel" questions on "drivetrain". Generally, "wheel" questions are posted on "Wheels and Tires".
Old 09-01-2005, 08:02 PM

Oh ok I see,sorry bout that.Got any info on the inner fender lip question above.
Thanks man,
JE
Old 09-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Administrator

One thing you will find is that no two of these cars are the same. Even though they all came off the same production line, and were all made with the same basic parts, there is no consistancy in how 17x11" wheels fit on them.

I have the 50mm offset wheels with 315 BFG Drag Radials on them. The inner fenders needed a lot of hammering, and I had to cut the projecting edges off the jounce bumper brackets. Seemed OK, until I threw a few really hard shifts (used to be a T56 with a Street Twiin), and I had the inner fender lip on the drivers side rubbing slightly on the sidewall of the tire. I checked the side-to-side centering of the body over the axle, and found it wasn't even, so I used my adjustable panhard rod to recenter the body. Then I rolled the fender lips, using a tool called "The Jimmy" just to be on the safe side.

Every time I post whe I had to do, someone will post and say they have the same wheels and didn't have to to anything..... there is no consistancy. A buddy of mine had the same wheels and tires on his 30th SS convertible, and had minimal problems.

You're just going to have to put the wheels on the car and see how they fit. I would suspect that with the 7.75" backspace, if you have a problem, its going to be the fender lips since the tires will be closer. Drive it easy and keep checking for signs of rubbing. Then get a little more agressive and see what happens. Or, just to play it safe, have the lip rolled.

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-01-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:56 PM

get an adjustable panhard rod to center the rear. That helped alot on my application. Also, I had to roll the fenderlip because on large bumps the sharp lip would gouge my tires. I have it solved 95% but sometimes they still hit. This is due to the fact that I removed my bumpstops and the only thing that stops the axle from going up is the tire hitting the wheel well. This rarely happens but it does. I eventually plan on getting a body shop "flare" the fenders so that the wheels can fit into the wells without getting cut and have enough clearance.

Brian
Old 09-02-2005, 09:25 PM

One problem with bump stop removal that was not mentioned.

Since the rear shocks are designed for a rear axle with bump stops, they do not have internal stops that are very strong.

Hard bumps can kill the shock. Koni DA's have been ruined without rear bump stops. Pretty expensive lesson. Not sure about bilstein and others.

From what I have seen you can remove the 15mm aluminum spacers without any problem on Z28/SS/WS6 cars with 17x9. Trimming the bump stop should be ok also. But complete removal can lead to problems.

Lots of info about this on www.frrax.com

Z28