Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.
View Poll Results: What Springs Should i buy????
SLP 1" drop
22.22%
Wait for Strano's 1.2" drop
61.11%
Mac Progressive about 1"
0%
GMS Progressive 1.25
0%
BMR Progressive 1"
16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Buying new springs asap. HATE MY EIBACHS **POLL**

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:08 PM

What shocks do you have with these springs? I didn't see them.

If you dont' have revalves or Konis thats half the reason right there, can't control the spring.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:29 PM

i have a bilstien HD shock, revalves are only neccessary if your driving your car really hard or racing it. koni's are good but not worth the money for my application.

there is nothing wrong with a Bilstein HD shock for regular street driving with very few times at the track.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Coolformula
What shocks do you have with these springs? I didn't see them.

If you dont' have revalves or Konis thats half the reason right there, can't control the spring.
Forget trying to help this guy, he knows it all. The right shocks to go with the springs, yeah, that would make no sense at all. No he would rather make statements like, his tire is being cut, he knows his car isn't centered over the rearend, but hasn't bought an adjustable panhard rod. 9 out of 10 people hate their Eibachs. Can bottom out the car with half his body weight. Springs wore out 9 months, known to have *** sag in 2 months. By the way mine are 10 years old and still have no sag. And somehow after being on a lift for a week they came back to life for a few days.
I'll give the benefit of the doubt, but you have more problems than just the springs.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by shocker45
i have a bilstien HD shock, revalves are only neccessary if your driving your car really hard or racing it. koni's are good but not worth the money for my application.

there is nothing wrong with a Bilstein HD shock for regular street driving with very few times at the track.

Well you go with a pretty high spring rate spring, use improper shocks to control this and then lower your ground clearance, supension travel. And who knows what else, and you wonor why something is not working correctly?

Good luck, were just trying to help.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:57 AM

i know your just trying to help, and i appreciate it, but i dont see how using HD's are improper. i know lots of people running them, and even more said it was okay. all forums are so opinionated.

and i have bought an adj PHB. its on the way, it was the first thing i did, no i havn't rolled my fender because i listened to you guys and agreed that it could mess up my car.

all this thread was supposed to do was to help me pick a new spring.
i am not happy with my eibachs, i dont like the 1.5" drop in the rear and i want something new, as far as them sagging, and you guys not bieleving me nor the other people who have the same problem.

call eibach, talk to the tech department, and ask about late model camaro's Pro kit and what problems, first thing on there list is the rear springs sag. there fix for it is retarded and doesnt make sense, so i didnt bother doing it.

(said something like put my factory lower control arm bushings back in, urethane are no good., didnt make sense to me, so i left it)
Old 05-31-2007, 08:01 AM

http://www.stranoparts.com/frontpage.php

Look here, all springs have at the least the revalves.

Lower springs, lower the car and decrease supension travel and increase your spring rate! If you have more than 16 inch wheels and tires you have increased your unspring weight too.

Sam has won many races etc. And would not recommend the HD for a 1.5 inch drop spring.

Get a set of realves and some 1.2 sam springs you should be happy.

Why do you need springs? I like doing the hose mod and using the lower perch with the SAj'as its a bit lower, and still very nice!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 AM

k, couple questions about the re valves,
What benefit do they offer over the normal HD shock for normal street use?
How do i go about getting them, do i just buy them, or can i re-valve my HD's? ( i bieleve thats what they are, HD's revalved, correct me if im wrong)

is it worth upgrading? and how much $$$
Old 05-31-2007, 09:46 AM

Revalves for the spring your going to be use. Are set up to control the shock (rebound). They do start life as HD normally. Sam Strano would be the person to talk to. I dont' know if you can send your 2 shocks in and get them valved or not. I got my new though him.

HD's are "ok" for normal springs and much better than the decarbons. Just with any lowerspring your increasing your rate my usually large amounts, but not the shock. The shock has to be good enough to control the spring. Even for street use.

www.stranoparts.com
Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 PM

Here's a thought, is there a difference where the spring perch is located on your 9'', compared to the stock rearend?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
Here's a thought, is there a difference where the spring perch is located on your 9'', compared to the stock rearend?
its supposed to be identical, and from what we could tell it was. so i dont know,

i ordered a set of Strano's today and a PHB on tuesday. so by next weekend i should be good.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:34 PM

Really? That's news to me, and to Bilstein since they make it pretty clear HD's aren't suitable for lowering springs.

Do you somehow leave the spring rate @ home when you aren't "driving your car really hard or racing it". The car has NO IDEA what it's doing, doesn't care. The shocks control the sprung mass, the spring rate, and the unpsrung mass--and of which are always there all the time.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Really? That's news to me, and to Bilstein since they make it pretty clear HD's aren't suitable for lowering springs.

Do you somehow leave the spring rate @ home when you aren't "driving your car really hard or racing it". The car has NO IDEA what it's doing, doesn't care. The shocks control the sprung mass, the spring rate, and the unpsrung mass--and of which are always there all the time.
k so what should i do? can i get my current shocks re valved?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:53 PM

k so what should i do? can i get my current shocks re valved?
Bilsteins can be revalved, but I don't do it on used shocks (far too many issues in the past), and Bilstein will not put my specified valvings into shocks. Given the price of Revalving 4 old ones, plus to and from shipping, the wait time and the car laid up..... Most folks find buying new, saving about a week in shipping), not having the car laid up because your shocks aren't off getting worked, and having a set of HD's that hold their value well makes more sense.

New Revalves $530
Revalving old shocks around $300
Selling HD's used, say $250.

$530
-$250
------
$280 is the net cost of buying new/selling old. Less than revalving 4 old ones and in normal circumstances saves about a week, location depending, for you to ship yours in. Of course YMMV based on what you'd get for used stuff and how much shipping you might incur to and from Canada.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:59 PM

so what actually happens with the hd's like why do they suck for lowered cars? what would change as far as ride quality, i mean i know you know your stuff, but now im kinda upset cuz my supplier said it would be fine for lowering springs. now i feel like i wasted money and time.,
Old 06-06-2007, 07:38 AM

They can not control your new stiff rate springs due to the higher rates of the springs and less supension travel.

Got to read. Suppliers most of the time sell parts to make money, not try to help you choose whats best. Thats why people Like me LIKE sam he dont' sell you stuff you dont 'need. And is honest with you.

Quick Reply: Buying new springs asap. HATE MY EIBACHS **POLL**