Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

C5 Brake upgrade from LT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:48 AM

C5 Brake upgrade from LT1

Guys,

I was hoping someone might have a link and or information on the C5 upgrade for the brakes? I have a 95 T/A and I also have the Brad Bishop part to convert the front brakes. What I don't know is what about the rear brakes? Does anyone have any info on this? Can I use the C5 (Z06) rotors? I am looking to upgrade my rear end to a 12 bolt and or Dana 60 unit. Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 AM

Here is a parts list and a tutorial. Most people don't fool around with the back brakes because the price vs reward is not worth it. Also big brakes on the back will interfere with alot of drag racing rims for those who keep a set of slicks for the track.

The Z06 and other performance pads will dust really bad so keep in mind your rims will constantly get dirty. I switched from the Z06 pads to some ceramics.

http://www.camarossworld.com/Technical/Brakes/C5/

http://www.speedspecialty.com/prodim...bpartslist.doc

Last edited by 97WS6Pilot; 01-22-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:47 AM

Awesome thanks for the info. What if I were to upgrade the rear brakes to the LS1 brakes? That should work correct? I was having trouble finding some information on this? Is this an easy upgrade? Any details would be great!

Thanks for the tip with the ceramic pads for the front...with my chrome wheels I want to keep them CLEAN

Cheers.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:25 AM

Tips. I got the red Z06 calipers (same price as black) and they look great behind chrome rims. Team Chevy has a smokin deal on almost all gm parts including the C5 parts. Just make sure to ask for the "Internet price."

Difficulty. It was a PITA sawing the steering knuckle with a sawzall. Make sure you have a package of good blades and change the blade often as it starts to get dull. Otherwise it will take all day to saw through.

Its also a good time to replace the shocks and upper and lower ball joints with some good greasable moog joints.

As far as the back brakes they only provide 20% of the braking and you will not even notice a difference between LS1 and LT1 brakes. Alot of the drag racers go with smaller drag racing brakes. I just painted my rear LT1 brakes red for aesthetics.

Last edited by 97WS6Pilot; 01-22-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Yup mine are red also...I have the same color car as you!

Yes it looks like I need the right tool to cut the steering knuckle. What a PITA for sure!

No more money left for the shocks, upper lower ball joints but something to consider for sure. Maybe if I replace them with the stock stuff that would be better than nothing??

Cool so I can leave the back brakes stock and just paint the caliper. Sounds like a plan and it is a cheap option....I like it! All I need are pads.

Thanks for the help on this..much appreciated!
Old 02-29-2008, 05:34 PM

i know its old but...

would these bare a problem with weld racing draglite wheels?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by IROCThisZ28ForLife
i know its old but...

would these bare a problem with weld racing draglite wheels?
What size?

I know it's mandatory to run 17s or bigger on the C5 upgrade.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:58 PM

i would only be doing the upgrade in the front, but 17" skinnies would be retarded, im probably going to be running stock lt1 brakes then, at most ls1 upgrades, thanks
Old 03-01-2008, 05:57 AM

everyone says its not worth it to mess w/ the rears but i still can't find any info on doing the swap. my parking brake brackets are messed up and the lines are rotten. soo......rather than replace i'd rather upgrade for a few $$ more. I know I will probably lose the parking brake since its an entirely different set up but this is a track only car.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:02 AM

I used a sawzall to cut the steering knuckle and mine went through like butter. I only used a blade per side. I just did this conversion last night.

I used a mityvac to bleed the brakes and they are still spongy and air still in the lines, I even did it twice. I guess I will have to bleed it the ol fashioned way.

Jeff