Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

C6 Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:13 PM

Is the Baer better than the c5 z06 brakes? what size rotor are you running?
Old 06-02-2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
Is the Baer better than the c5 z06 brakes? what size rotor are you running?
I'm sure it depends on what exact system you are reffering to, and even then, there are no exact specs on performance here, especially since it really depends on the type of pad/tire you are using as well, not to mention vehicle weight ect. ect. ect. The only real way is to ride in similar vehicles with different setups.

The C6 Z06 brakes have countless flaws, and from what the Corvette guys are saying, they don't stop worth a darn anyways. Just because one brake system has 6 piston calipers doesn't mean it will out stop a 2 piston caliper. I have ridden in another F-body with the Wilwood 6 piston caliper brake system with 13 inch rotors (same as mine) with the same pads, and my Baer Track 2 piston caliper out stops his hands down.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:52 PM

No Im talking about the C5 Z06 brakes, you can get them setup for under 500 and I havent been gotten any brake fade. Im trying to compare pad size and rotor diameter to see if the baer setup has any clear cut advantage over the C5 setup. from what I can see its just $800 more....
Old 06-02-2007, 02:58 PM

No Im talking about the C5 Z06 brakes, you can get them setup for under 500 and I havent been gotten any brake fade. Im trying to compare pad size and rotor diameter to see if the baer setup has any clear cut advantage over the C5 setup. from what I can see its just $800 more....
The C5 Z06 brakes are almost but not quite as good as the Baer Track system I have. But like you said, they are a bit cheeper.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:15 AM

I thought the Baer "Track" setup was very close to the c5 zo6 brakes? I know they use the same pads and are the same PBR 2 piston caliper.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by SS1156
I thought the Baer "Track" setup was very close to the c5 zo6 brakes? I know they use the same pads and are the same PBR 2 piston caliper.
Thats the conclusion I came to when I was doing my research. If you have the same piston diameter and pad then your getting the same clamping force. the only difference I wanted to know what the rotors but I thought they are both 13"? Can anyone justify the cost difference?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Rotor diameter is not the only variable. Rotor thickness is important, as is the material used, the vane design, and whether it's slotted or drilled.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Rotor diameter is not the only variable. Rotor thickness is important, as is the material used, the vane design, and whether it's slotted or drilled.
Of course but keeping those variables constant there shouldnt be a difference. the vane design on the C5 setup is curved to pull air through and you can ge them cross drilled and slotted. what do the vanes look like on the Baer setup?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:25 AM

The baer track system is excatly the same has the c5 brake kit.Caliper are the same and they also use the 1 pieces discs.The only thing that i could find in my search was that the c5 disc is 12.8" and the baer is 13".

The baer track-plus sytem is also the same has the c5 brake kit.Caliper are the same.The main difference in this kit is the 2 pieces rotor that the baer kit has.

From my standpoint they are the same minus .2" of disc but the c5 parts are available everywhere and are also very cheap.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 AM

The guy at Baer told me that the "Track" setup uses c5 brake pads and everything. I think I'm going with the UMI c5 zo6 kit.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:05 AM

Like I said before, the C5 Z06 brake setup is essentially the same as the Baer "Track" system. The Baer Track system comes with the Baer 13 rotors as well as steel braded brake lines. The calipers themselves are the same size, however after seeing both in person, and having used mine for years now and comparing it to others with the C5 Z06 brakes, the Baer Track system is a little better in quality. Both will potentially stop the same assuming you step up the rotor, and lines the same as the Baer system. I just feel that the Baer system is of higher quality. Is it worth spending the extra $? Most will say "no", but with everything else in my car, I wanted the best.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Of course but keeping those variables constant there shouldnt be a difference. the vane design on the C5 setup is curved to pull air through and you can ge them cross drilled and slotted. what do the vanes look like on the Baer setup?
Right, but why would you assume that the Baer kit has all of those characteristics the same as the C5 Z06?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Right, but why would you assume that the Baer kit has all of those characteristics the same as the C5 Z06?
Because they use the same/similar caliper "mouth" and anyone can get cross drilled and slotted rotors. theres only so much room between the pads, I dont think rotor thickness has as must to do with it as does the cooling capabilities. Ill take a thinner, less weight, better cooling rotor over a thicker one anyday.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:15 AM

Because they use the same/similar caliper "mouth" and anyone can get cross drilled and slotted rotors. theres only so much room between the pads, I dont think rotor thickness has as must to do with it as does the cooling capabilities. Ill take a thinner, less weight, better cooling rotor over a thicker one anyday.
Sorry man, but I have to disagree with you here. It is all in the thickness of the rotor. X-drilled rotors (even though I have them) are basically just for show, they have nothing to do with actually cooling the rotor. Slotted helps a little, but its all in the mass or thickness of the rotor that has to do with the stopping power of them. If you don't believe me, try a search, and you will find more info backing it up. You might even find a thread at which I got into it with Greed4speed over this same issue. After much debate, and doing more and more research, I learned I was wrong back when debating this with Greed4speed (a hard thing to admit for a lot of us), and that it is all in the thickness of the rotors.

Look at NASCAR, and or Formula One rotors, they are plain rotors not X-drilled or slotted, they have massive air ducts to keep them cool, but they depend on the thickness of the rotors to stop.

Last edited by CALL911; 06-04-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:27 AM

Well I guess it comes down the material properties. if you can sufficently cool a thinner rotor then you should get better performance out of it since it will be lighter yet maintain its rigidity. but Ill admit thicker is better for our applications since brake cooling ducts dont come standard.

How thick are the Baer rotors? and how thick are the C5's. and even if the Baer rotors are 13" does the caliper mount make use of that extra .2"? or does it sit the pad in the same position on the rotor as the C5's? If it does then your carriing around extra weight that isnt doing anything.

An i agree 100% the cross drilled does nothing for you performance wise. but vane design and slots do help out quite a bit

Quick Reply: C6 Brakes?