Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

C6 Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
Well I guess it comes down the material properties. if you can sufficently cool a thinner rotor then you should get better performance out of it since it will be lighter yet maintain its rigidity. but Ill admit thicker is better for our applications since brake cooling ducts dont come standard.

How thick are the Baer rotors? and how thick are the C5's. and even if the Baer rotors are 13" does the caliper mount make use of that extra .2"? or does it sit the pad in the same position on the rotor as the C5's? If it does then your carriing around extra weight that isnt doing anything.

An i agree 100% the cross drilled does nothing for you performance wise. but vane design and slots do help out quite a bit
Thats the whole point of having a thicker rotor. A thicker rotor will take much more heat before it becomes hot. A thinner rotor will get hot much easier and will thus be prone to warping that much easier as well. Without traveling at triple digit speeds with proper ducting to the rotors, there is no way a thinner rotor with directional veines, and ducting will out stop a thick rotor with non directional veines and no ducting. Even when traveling at higher speeds with proper cooling, I still highly doubt a thinner rotor will outstop a thicker one. Once rotors get hot on a hard braking situation, thats when they start to fade and you loose stopping power.

BTW, my Bear calipers do make full use of the rotors. I don't have pictures of the veines since they are on the car, but they are directional veines that help cool the rotor.

Another thing I reccomend when getting rotors (especially X-drilled ones like mine) is having them cryogenically frozen. My old X-drilled and slotted Baer 13 inch rotors after years of abuse started to form stress cracks in between the X-drilled sections. After talking to a Baer representative, he said Baers rotors have been re-designed recently to a much higher quality alloy which is much stronger than before. Then on top of that I had them cryogenically frozen at -300 for 24 hours.

Besides rotors, pads are a big part as well. I went all out this round and got Hawk HP Plus pads. They squeal all the time, as well as dust horribly, but they stop on a dime. Finally, changing to a higher boiling point brake fluid will help as well. Superblue is one of the better ones to go with here.

Last edited by CALL911; 06-04-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:47 AM

Thats why I menetioned keeping them cool, a thinner rotor will dissapate heat faster than a thicker one. since they use all of the rotor and use the same pads and caliper. I would say the baer is margionally better since its utlizing a "larger" rotor. I guess its all up to what you plan on doing with it. ive road raced mine with stock c5 rotors and had excelent results, autocross really doesnt count since you never really get the brakes hot enough to tell the difference. I plan running the Tail of the Dragon this month so we will see how it holds up to that punishment
Old 06-04-2007, 11:59 AM

Thats why I menetioned keeping them cool, a thinner rotor will dissapate heat faster than a thicker one. since they use all of the rotor and use the same pads and caliper. I would say the baer is margionally better since its utlizing a "larger" rotor. I guess its all up to what you plan on doing with it. ive road raced mine with stock c5 rotors and had excelent results, autocross really doesnt count since you never really get the brakes hot enough to tell the difference. I plan running the Tail of the Dragon this month so we will see how it holds up to that punishment
I guess the point I am trying to make here, is that a thicker rotor is all around better than a thinner one. Yes you are correct that a thinner rotor will cool faster, but a thicker rotor, wouldn't have gotten nearly as hot as the thinner one in the first place. And since they won't really cool very fast in either application, its better not to have gotten them hot in the first place with a thicker rotor.

Simply put;

Thicker rotor= more stopping power, longer rotor life, harder to get hot
Thinner rotor= less stopping power, less rotor life, gets hot quickly
Old 06-04-2007, 12:04 PM

Well when It comes to what we are talking about, how much difference are we talking about and will you actually see any difference either way? I NEVER warped a rotor from hard use. maybe I dont drive hard enough?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:13 PM

Well when It comes to what we are talking about, how much difference are we talking about and will you actually see any difference either way? I NEVER warped a rotor from hard use. maybe I dont drive hard enough?
Maybe I do too many high speed brakings I would go through countless sets of stock rotors before I upgraded to my Baer system. The C5 brakes are much better than the LT1 stock brakes. The C5 Z06 Brakes and the Baer Track system brakes are a noticable amount better than the C5 or LS1 brakes. Now, the difference between the C5 Z06 setup and the Baer Track system are almost identical. If you use the same rotors as the Baer track system as well as the brake lines, then I would venture to say they will stop exactly the same. Its just again, that the Baer system is a little higher quality that the C5 Z06 brakes. Is any of this worth the money? That is up to you and how much you use your brakes. I obviously use mine a lot, and when I need to stop, I need to stop reliably, and quickly. Most people would do just fine with upgrading just to LS1 brakes. If you don't drive hard enough, then honestly, its probably not worth the $.

As far as rotors go, it is on the same lines. If you don't really get on your brakes too much especially from high speeds, a thinner cheeper rotor, will probably be fine. However if you do occasionally get on the brakes hard from high speeds, eventually having thinner rotors will warp them and wear them out (not to mention not stop nearly as well as the thicker ones). Thats when you have to make the call at what you think is best for your braking needs in comparison to your bank account.

Last edited by CALL911; 06-04-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:18 PM

Damn dude and your an M6! going through brakes like that is nuts.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:26 PM

Damn dude and your an M6! going through brakes like that is nuts.
Lets just say I have spent a lot of $ when it comes to my car. I like putting all of that performance stuff to good use, thats when high speed braking comes in to play Without a good brake setup though, you are always putting yourself at risk if you can't stop quickly. Especially at the track or other high speed stopping situations.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:27 PM

I think we've beat this topic to death. Good luck with your selection for brakes man
Old 06-04-2007, 02:19 PM

I wish Baer made a kit that was between the Track kit and the Extreme. I love those 6 piston Alcons, but they are a little out of my budget right now.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:22 PM

Anyone tried using these? http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/det...maro&year=1996
Old 06-04-2007, 02:25 PM

that looks like a nice setup. the caliper and pad look better than the C5-z06's but its 3-4times as much.