Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

cage

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 09:47 PM

cage

I was wondering if a roll cage and a roll bar can be used in drag racing. I was looking at the jegster roll cages in jegs and would those be ok to run with at a track? I dont really get the roll cage situation?(bolt-in, weld-in) THanks for the help.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Re: cage

NHRA requires a 5-point roll bar for cars running under 11.50 seconds (convertibles under 13.50). You don't need a full roll cage until you go under 10.00-seconds. At that point, the cage needs to be inspected and certified by an NHRA qualified inspector.

You can weld it in or bolt it in, as long as you follow the requirements for the size of the mounting plates and the number of bolts.

A bar or cage can present added hazards on the street, since its not likely you're going to be wearing the helmet that will protect your head (or your passengers') if it contacts the bar.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:42 PM
IHI

Re: cage

Originally Posted by cbrakllr88
I was wondering if a roll cage and a roll bar can be used in drag racing. I was looking at the jegster roll cages in jegs and would those be ok to run with at a track? I dont really get the roll cage situation?(bolt-in, weld-in) THanks for the help.
Injuneer already hit on the ET brackets that require use of a roll bar (8 points and smaller) or a roll cage (10 points and more) The jegster unit is a nice piece and is what I have in my car, just wish I had opted at that time to install the 10 point when car was gutted, since now I have to remove everything again, getting to the point now where mph is increasing and I want my azz protected should something bad happen-seen stuff in person wreck wise and knowing I'm completely surrounded makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside

Not to mention they really stiffen the car up so it performs better both on the track and on the street...but just know a rollbar/cage in a high use daily driven type car is a bad deal...doing the contortionist thing gets old pretty quickly; and if you ever have to work under the dash, that sucks too