Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Caliper sticking?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 04:40 PM

Caliper sticking?!

So my brakes are squeeking and i take my car in... Turns out only my front left is worn down to the indicater and all of the other 3 pads still have a chunk of life left on them.... Guy at the brake shop tells me its probably a sticking caliper.... So my question is, what should i do... I have heard people talk about putting in stainless steel brake lines. Does that help much? And if i need to replace my calipers... What kinda and where? Thanks. Oh and the rotors are all new, i replaced them last summer with OEM stock ones..(dad paid for them so i had no choice ) Thanks guys.

Chris
Old 08-16-2004, 11:34 PM

Re: Caliper sticking?!

Brakelines=no
If you have acess to a air compressor, pm me and i will give full details on how to rebuild a caliper.

But here is how you diagnose the problem.

take the problem side wheel off, and try to give the rotor a spin, a little friction is fine but if you got to put some muscle in it you contiune on....

if the rotor is hard to move undo the bleeder valve, and give the rotor a spin if it is still hard to turn you caliper piston is stuck, either rebuild or buy new your choose.

now if the rotor spins free now(little friction okay) that means your line has gone south.

hope that helps.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by dnz28
Brakelines=no
If you have acess to a air compressor, pm me and i will give full details on how to rebuild a caliper.

But here is how you diagnose the problem.

take the problem side wheel off, and try to give the rotor a spin, a little friction is fine but if you got to put some muscle in it you contiune on....

if the rotor is hard to move undo the bleeder valve, and give the rotor a spin if it is still hard to turn you caliper piston is stuck, either rebuild or buy new your choose.

now if the rotor spins free now(little friction okay) that means your line has gone south.

hope that helps.

Awesome, thanks for the help... I will try that tomorrow.

Chris
Old 08-17-2004, 12:14 AM

It also could be a guide pin. I had the same problem this summer. The caliper wouldn't fully release, which caused the rotor to get very hot. I'd check out the guide pins and see if they move at all.