Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Calipers will not budge! [EDIT]

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Banned

Calipers will not budge! [EDIT]

ok so sorry about the last thread, it wasnt a oh shoebox refuses to help me type thing...

what i meant was, that shoebox's website wasnt helping me, because i felt i couldnt find what i needed,

again if what i just said seems mean or rude, its not meant to, so sorry shoebox,

but back on topic,

when i hit my brakes, my right nor left calipers move,

but heres he funny thing, there getting fluid....

when the car is running my pedal goes right to the floor without any resistence at all...

ive heard this could be my master cyl? if so im going to be pissed. ive put tons of money into this thing only to have to dump more into it... i know that changing a master cyl is pretty straight forward, but its the fact that i know these are not cheap new, and i dont think id trust buying a used one... as it could be bad too...

now lets say i replace the master, and still nothing from the rear calipers? the calipers i bought used i know work fine as the guy i bought them off of had been driving his car a week ago before he wrapped it around a tree (i know ouch)

so can anyone give me a clue?

also i havent tried jumping on the brakes fast like im trying to avoid an accident,

and everyone keeps telling me i have air in my lines... i dont see how. ive ran 4 small bottles of fluid through the lines and half a big bottle..

im thinking about getting a brake fluid vaccume and trying that... but i dont have the slightest clue on where to get one

Last edited by bobbyk3lly; 07-21-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:09 PM

Re: AGAIN my calipers will not budge! SHOEBOX TAKE A LOOK!

I've already put in my $.02. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shoebox
I've already put in my $.02. Good luck.
ok. thanks
Old 07-22-2011, 06:25 PM

Another alternative - You can get a MC rebuild kit with new Orings, piston & spring, etc. not too expensive at a parts store then rebuild your own MC.

And don't get all hurt that you got scolded on the internet, it happens all the time - you gotta not let it get to you. They don't know you and you don't know them so no big deal. Those two guys probably know more about these cars than anybody else here, though
Old 07-24-2011, 04:50 PM

Re: Calipers will not budge! [EDIT]

what procedure did you use to bleed the system?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
Another alternative - You can get a MC rebuild kit with new Orings, piston & spring, etc. not too expensive at a parts store then rebuild your own MC.

And don't get all hurt that you got scolded on the internet, it happens all the time - you gotta not let it get to you. They don't know you and you don't know them so no big deal. Those two guys probably know more about these cars than anybody else here, though

yeah, seems like every some odd person on here has something to say, im the new guy cut me some slack lol...

and they have rebuld kits???? im going to have to check into that... im getting one off of a 3rd gen for now just to get me by.. i hope it clears my cowl and hood... if not can i just switch out the res????

also how hard is it to rebuld a master cyl???

i might do some searching on here to see how to do it... cause $50 for a reman isnt bad so im hoping i might be able to get away with a whole lot cheaper on a rebuild...

any tips or hints on things to look out for when rebuilding?? dont want to put anything on backwards and screw it up again, lol
Old 07-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Administrator

You know...I did cut you some slack. I took the time to edit your topic, and I deleted my posts and your response. I thought I had eliminated the issues. I guess not.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:06 PM

Trying to use a master cylinder from another car may not be appropriate, unless the same part number covers both cars. Master cylinders are specific to the car they are on and may not operate the brakes properly on another model car.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:21 PM

how did you bleed it? did your brakes work before you put on the new/used calipers.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:29 AM
Banned

i bled the brakes in this order. pass rear, drivers rear, pass front, drivers front. and no they didnt, but i did a test on my master cyl and it was bad, it was leaking out of the back by the booster.. now i just need to find one... this is gonna be fun with no money...

wish me luck
Old 07-27-2011, 03:34 PM

If the M/C is leaking you are fighting a losing battle as you will adding air every time you step on the brakes. Replace that first, buy a reman from rock auto, and bench bleed it. Also you need to bleed the abs unit (teo bleed screws, top front, under the air intake). You can bleed using the pedal with a second person but pressure unit is much easier.

Last edited by pgerst; 07-27-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: chnage to answer
Old 07-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Banned

well i replaced the master cyl, and i got the rear brake calipers to move FINALY!

but now im having 2 more issues of concern...

1, is im hearing a hissing noise from under the dash, sounding like its the brake booster [EDIT]

2, next is my controll module for my key fob for my door locks and hatch,
first my door locks were locking and unlocking perfectly fine. but my hatch wouldnt work.. kept hearing just a clicking noise..

found out its this black box behind the passenger kick panel...

so now my key fob wont work for anything and when i try to go into programming mode my doors only lock, they dont unlock to say its ready to program... maybe if i leave it alone for awhile it will work, idk...

but the booster hiss is my biggest worry...

and my pedal still goes to the floor. but i dont have my calipers bolted up right at the moment so im hoping thats the cause of that... but the calipers and working atleast...

Last edited by Injuneer; 07-28-2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Do NOT override the language filter
Old 07-28-2011, 07:18 PM

yes, your calipers not being bolted up would cause the pedal to go to the floor. make sure you bleed the abs unit first. but do that after the calipers are mounted.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

already got that bled, im going to complete the job hopfully tomorrow if its not too hot.

its been really hot out for the past week or so... i really want to get this car done so i can atleast take it out for telegraph cruise
Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Banned

and i got the key fob working again... just alittle anger and some pounding got it working again

and thanks for Editing out my bad language!

Last edited by bobbyk3lly; 07-28-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spell check