Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

camaro ss feels light

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM

camaro ss feels light

hey guys i have been driving around a camaro v6 with the factory bodt kit on it, koni single adjustable shocks, eibach sportlines/prokit(whichever one is harder forget) sphoon 32 mm sways, lower control arms and panhard bar.

I have moved on to a much faster car now, a camaro ss.
All i have put into it is the lower control arms from the camaro ss.....

the question i am asking is that now that i am driving the camaro ss, the steering feels very light ESPECIALLY at higher speeds(like 90+) and its no longer fun to speed, just nerve racking!

So ya does your camaro feel light or is it just normal , and it just feels light to me since i have been driving that camaro v6 w/ all those mods for so long???

also how can i get my car to feel stiffer again? i just want to do springs, BMR'S 1inch lowering progressive rate springs sound good.....

also i have sphoon 32mm sway bars in the front and 22mm in the back and i was wondering if those are the same one's in the ss because i heard that they are the same size? should i trade them anyway just because they are aftermarket?? help!?!?

Last edited by camarookid; 01-25-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:51 PM

Re: camaro ss feels light

Should have gotten those shocks ans sway bars for the SS, they'll fit on it too. I don't remember if the SS comes w/ 32mm front bar or not. Also, what kind of tires are you running? That has more to do with handling than the factory body kit.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 01-25-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:32 PM

i have 275/ 40zr 17's with the 93w speed rating (168mhp) summitomo's on all 4 corners. i want to change the springs shocks, but the ride is SOOOO harsh that i just couldn't live with them anymore as a daily driver......

i was thinking that just lowering the car with a little stiffer of a spring will help tremendisly

ya i didn't think that the body kit did anything at all either....
Old 01-25-2006, 07:42 PM

You don't need to change springs. You are describing classic lack of rebound control. You need appropriate shocks, they are what make the car feel tied or locked down. The car only feels soft because the shocks allow tons of undamped movement.

I deal with this every day. Plus you don't want a harsh ride. The shocks will firm things up, make the car much more direct feeling, and actually smooth out the harshest bumps as well. GM managed to make shocks that crash on impacts and float all at once. Quite a feat!
Old 01-25-2006, 07:55 PM

i have a pair of koni "special"(??) single adjustable shocks in my v6 so if i put those into my camaro ss it will not be to harsh because i seriously went through 2 years with a super harsh ride with koni's and eibach's so ya i trust you guys.

how does this set up sound then......

koni "special"(??) single adjustable shocks (from my v6)
and bmr 1" PROGRESSIVE rate lowering springs

also will the shocks from the ss fit right into the v6 camaro i would think that it would but it never hurts to be safe....
Old 01-26-2006, 10:01 AM

Its becuase Eibiotch for the 4th gen suck. The sportlines don't have enough rate for as low as they sit and they tend to ride the bump stops causing a harsh ride.

Sumis aren't that great of tire either.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 01-26-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:30 PM

Um, there were not specials ever made for a 4th gen. Those have to be 3rd gen shocks in the rear, but you can't have Specials in front because they don't fit, which can be used, but you have to play with the settings. Which brings me to my next point, where were the shocks set? Because that effects the ride and handling both.

In short, you are blaming the ride on the shocks when it's most likely the springs. However, you also don't have the proper shocks on the car either, and we don't know where they are set.........
Old 01-27-2006, 05:00 PM

where they are set? i have never heard of that term sorry buddy you mean like if they are set on the hard of soft setting maybe? i donno im sorta new to suspension lingo so ya a little help and ill be able to explain to you better
Old 01-27-2006, 05:33 PM

Well, I'd say that would explain a lot....