Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Can rotors warp this quickly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:41 PM

Re: Can rotors warp this quickly?

The BEST bang for the buck in rotors is the Autozone stuff. Pads, well, if bucks are a problem, put on the cheapest pads they have... but save for good pads. And don't expect the cheapest pads to save your a$$ when you go into a corner way too fast. In normal street driving, the cheapo pads are actually fairly good, but they do dust a lot.

Best all around bang for the buck: Autozone Duralast rotors, Hawk HP+ pads for all around.

And since you seem to be having a LOT of trouble with warping, make sure the calipers are sliding well on the pins.

Oh... and quit trying to save money on the only thing that keeps you from running into the back of stuff.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:53 PM

Yeah, no doubt...stop buying cheap brakes. I know that being able to stop 5-10 feet shorter might not justify spending an extra $100. But if you don't you might find the wheelbase of your car shortened 5-10 feet after you smash into the back end of Grandma Tuffet's Buick.

I'm glad you figured out what the problem was. Rotors don't warp in a week from the driving you describe unless they are totally defective and I've never heard of giving them break in time. I put new rotors on my Grand Cherokee and Chevy Astro Van. I drive both 4000 pound cars as if they are Ferrari's. I've even spayed the rotors with cold water after miles of hard braking just to watch plumes of steam bellow out. They don't warp if they are good brakes. If they do, get a refund.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Will my waranty be accepted by any other Autozones?
yes, that is why they ask for your name/phone number, warranty info in the NATIONWIDE computer system
Old 08-30-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 94CamaroZ28
Oh... and quit trying to save money on the only thing that keeps you from running into the back of stuff.
Tires should be figured into this just as much as pads.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Tires should be figured into this just as much as pads.
Eh, Well she's wearing some 245/50/16 Falken's All Season Tires, they're directionals and according to Discount Tire Direct, they're Z rated tires...
Old 08-30-2006, 07:18 PM

Z rated doesn't mean anything for braking. Its the tread compound.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by BC2002SS
uneven torque on the wheels and heat will warp the rotors the first hard stop
sticky calipers too. After you drive a little bit, feel if your wheels are hot, it one side is hotter than the other it is undoubtedly a sticky caliper which will eventually warp the rotor(s)
Old 09-02-2006, 06:43 AM

Autozone sells junk parts.... Ive hears SEVERAL cases installing brand new rotors from auto zone that were warped from the start. With the junk they sell they need the warrenty... Being a big corperation they can afford it. If you want it done RIGHT the FIRST time and the ONLY time, I would go to a dealer, or your best bet is NAPA.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by 95custom
If you want it done RIGHT the FIRST time and the ONLY time, I would go to a dealer, or your best bet is NAPA.

Dealership rotors will be stock which will be the same light crappy casting that easily warps. If you want it to NOT warp, don't go to a dealer.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by 95custom
Autozone sells junk parts.... Ive hears SEVERAL cases installing brand new rotors from auto zone that were warped from the start. With the junk they sell they need the warrenty... Being a big corperation they can afford it. If you want it done RIGHT the FIRST time and the ONLY time, I would go to a dealer, or your best bet is NAPA.
somebody's retarded...the only time you'll warp a rotor right off is if you've forgotten to spray the rotor clean before you brake. every rotor made in the us comes from one of 2 factories. you can't tell me that one company sells crap rotors while another sells good ones...the same company made them both.

be sure your caliper pins are good and lubed properly, dust boots are clear of rips and dust. make sure your calipers arent warped or bent. use new pads when installing the new rotors, AND SPRAY THE ROTORS AND PADS WITH BRAKE CLEANER BEFORE FIRST USE....that's the important step. the rotors have anti rust stuff on them.

btw, i can't stand napa. every napa i've been to had crappy customer service and the only thing good from them is royal purple dealers and wix oil filters. i shop autozone for almost every part i use and i havent had any problems yet. i have a honda, jeep and the camaro. all use autozone parts where i dont use extreme duty aftermarket parts.