Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Can you make SS brakes fit on a Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 03:06 AM

Can you make SS brakes fit on a Z28?

Hey guys I was looking at my friends SS and my Z28, he has bigger brakes and calipers, can I convert mine to SS brakes?
What is involved?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:23 AM

Re: Can you make SS brakes fit on a Z28?

Either he's installed an aftermarket brake kit, or he's just got a newer camaro, 98 and newer got the bigger better brakes, the spindles will bolt right onto earlier cars, complete setup done deal.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Banned

the SS package did not include anything to do with brakes.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by keng
Hey guys I was looking at my friends SS and my Z28, he has bigger brakes and calipers, can I convert mine to SS brakes?
What is involved?
When you ask a question like that, as a minimum, you need to tell us what year your car is, and what year your friend's car is. No one can possibly answer the question intelligently without that info.

Suggestion: Set up a "signature" showing the year of your car, model, tranny type and any major mods.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:59 PM

17,000+ posts for a Super Moderator? I thought you would be in the 6 figure range
Old 03-02-2005, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
When you ask a question like that, as a minimum, you need to tell us what year your car is, and what year your friend's car is. No one can possibly answer the question intelligently without that info.

Suggestion: Set up a "signature" showing the year of your car, model, tranny type and any major mods.
You are right bro, I posted this late last night and I was hurting for ZZZZZZ.
I have a 97 Z28 and he does have a 00 LS1.
I guess I am asking can i convert my brakes to the LS1 and is it worth it?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:51 PM

Yes, it's worth it. All you need from his car is the spindle/knuckle and everything attached to it. (caliper, rotors, Brake line.)

It will bolt right into your car. You will most likely need an alignment after.

See this:
http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=29
and this:
http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=30

Dan
Old 03-03-2005, 12:32 AM

The LS1 setup is a great upgrade for your stock brakes. The only problem is you need his spindles to do the swap too. So unless he wrecked his car you won't have everything you need.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
The LS1 setup is a great upgrade for your stock brakes. The only problem is you need his spindles to do the swap too. So unless he wrecked his car you won't have everything you need.
Thanks for you help guys, I will start looking at the local bone yards,
Does it make a noticeable diffrence in stopping?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:51 PM

Its a huge diff. Just go ask your buddy to drive his car. With my stock brakes i could slam on them and the car would just gradually grind to a stop. With the 98+ stuff the car will nose dive hard and about slam you into the dash. . The 98+ stuff has 12in rotors while the 93-97's have 11 inch ones. The 98+ have dual piston calipers vs the 93-97's single piston calipers. I've never actually checked but by looking at the caliper i believe the 98+ has a little more pad surface area than the 93-97 stuff. So the 98+ stuff is better in every single way. Also since it sounds like you are kind of new to the difference in fbody brake systems it may help you to know the 98+ v6's also has the same brakes as the 98+ V8's. This makes finding the better brake setup that much easier and cheaper. People just refer to it as the LS1 setup, i guess because they want to say that rather than 98+.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:52 PM

There is no comparison. The LS1 brakes absolutely smoke the old underpowered LT1 brakes...just did mine and it's worth every penny.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:05 PM

does anyone have 60-0 compairson distance with similar pads and rotors?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Its a huge diff. Just go ask your buddy to drive his car. With my stock brakes i could slam on them and the car would just gradually grind to a stop. With the 98+ stuff the car will nose dive hard and about slam you into the dash. . The 98+ stuff has 12in rotors while the 93-97's have 11 inch ones. The 98+ have dual piston calipers vs the 93-97's single piston calipers. I've never actually checked but by looking at the caliper i believe the 98+ has a little more pad surface area than the 93-97 stuff. So the 98+ stuff is better in every single way. Also since it sounds like you are kind of new to the difference in fbody brake systems it may help you to know the 98+ v6's also has the same brakes as the 98+ V8's. This makes finding the better brake setup that much easier and cheaper. People just refer to it as the LS1 setup, i guess because they want to say that rather than 98+.
I am not going lie you are right. I am new to the F-body. I ahve always been a classic collecter, never wanted a newer car, but I did have a Mustang 5.0 built up pretty good, just sold it to get the 97 Camaro and wow, this car is awesome. I may trade in a few of my classics for a LS1
Old 03-03-2005, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by keng
I am not going lie you are right. I am new to the F-body. I ahve always been a classic collecter, never wanted a newer car, but I did have a Mustang 5.0 built up pretty good, just sold it to get the 97 Camaro and wow, this car is awesome. I may trade in a few of my classics for a LS1
Welcome to the 4th gen! Glad you like it. Yes, they are great cars. I agree.

Dan
Old 03-03-2005, 09:55 PM

Since you guys who have actually done the conversion chimed in, lets get down to the real decision whether or not to do it.

How much $$$$$$$$$$ did you spend to convert to LS1 brakes ?

Also, will they work with salad shooters or are 17's mandatory?

Just wondering because I gotta do my brakes soon, and there's nothing like turning routine maintenance into big-timer vehicle upgrades. Tim Taylor style.

Thanks in advance :P

Quick Reply: Can you make SS brakes fit on a Z28?