Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Car seems to roll alot when taking harder right turns

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 11:02 AM

Car seems to roll alot when taking harder right turns

Background- I got a nail in my rear driver side tire about a month ago. I found it because the car was a little squirley because that tire was low on air ~15-20 psi. I took it to Goodyear and they patched it from the inside. I filled all tires to about 40 psi which drops because of the cold to about 35.

Problem- The car feels stiff when I take left turns but when I take rights, it feels as if the tire is low on air pressure and the back end is squirly. I have checked it plenty of times and it is holding all the air. It never felt like this before the tire getting a nail I don't believe. I have only had the car since Thanksgiving. Do I need a new tire or could it be unbalanced? Is there any way to verify it is rolling too and that it is not just in my head?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:06 PM

Re: Car seems to roll alot when taking harder right turns

You could have someone stand on the outside of the car and watch you take a corner both ways and see if the roll is noticeable. It might feel worse on right corners because you're on the drivers side. The outside will squat down, where the inside will stay relatively the same, for the most part. Have someone sit in the passenger side and take a corner both ways, see if they think the left corners feel worse.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:13 AM

Check the end links on your sway bars. If one of the end links broke, your would experience more roll when you turn.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:45 AM

I agree with chris, esp if you put the donut spare on to get it to goodyear, that'll put more stress on one side of the swaybar, or it could just be coincidence. I've broken several sets of endlinks on my 94Z, usually the bolt breaks in two. I'd check the frame bushings too, I've torn 3 of them off the front. I'm not talking about racing or auto-x either, just rough roads and hard driving. You can get the ES poly links and bushings, not so much for the poly but they come with much stronger hardware. My local autozone stocks them on the shelf, somewhere around $20 a set.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:04 PM

Thanks guys, I will have to look into that. How hard are they to replace? Doesn't seem like it would be much of a task.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:27 PM

I just had to say something, this is what I'm talkin about on the frame mount. I got on the highway today WOT through 2nd then "thunk...thunk...thunk". It's all your fault too hehe.

Replacing any of the bushings/endlinks isn't hard at all. The frame bushings are split so you just slide it over the bar and bolt it down with the metal strap. In the 2nd pic you can see the endlink, theres a nut just above the swaybar and a bolt head inside the hole you can see in the bottom of the control arm. Just try to get the car as level as you can before you torque down the endlinks.