Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Car squeeks annoyingly around turns

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 07:51 PM

Car squeeks annoyingly around turns

My car doesn't seem to squeek when braking but whenever I got around corners with or without brakes, the car screeches and it is fairly annoying. Anyone got any ideas on what this is. It seems to be coming from the rear. I believe it may have somehting to do with the brake tapping the rotor through the turn. Anyone got ideas on how i can check/ fix this. Or other ideas?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:09 AM

Re: Car squeeks annoyingly around turns

Search under rear brake shim.

Axle can float out and drag the rotor on the caliper mounting bracket. Need to grind the bracket, shim the mount or replace C-clips or live with it.

Z28
Old 10-02-2005, 10:14 AM

I have the same problem with my stock 93 z28. It has to do w/ the rearend i was told by a mechanic that i need to add posi-trac fluid additive to my rearend. I just went to jiffy lube yesteray and had it done im not sure if it has fixed the problem yet because it only squeeks happens when im driving for a while and making turns. Other mechanics said it has to do w/ the clutch in the rear-end but they are not 100% sure they told me it would be cheaper to go to a junkyard and swap rear-ends then trying to fix mine. I know for sure thought that it has to do with the differential i just dont know the exact cause. If the additive doesnt stop the squeeks im just gonna get a 12-bolt from eaton and change to 3.73's. It's a good excuse for me to upgrade If you search on the forums you will see the problem w/ the rear-end is common.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:14 PM

I had the same problem, I decided to install new rotors blindly... They actually make the car look better cuz they are the crossdrilled type, but anyways, the problem went away... dunno for how long though.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:26 PM

It is possible that this is the cuase but it sounds more like a brake thing. I just changed the fluid in the rear a few weeks ago with 2 quarts dino 75w90 and some trans-x posi fluid (comparable with gm oem additive)_
Old 10-04-2005, 05:31 PM

well it seems mine was the fluid. I had jiffy lube put in synthetic oil they said if i used synthetic instead of the normal fluid I wouldnt need the posi fluid because the synthetic is good enough by itself. I haven't heard a squeak yet but im keeping my fingers crossed cause i havent driven it very far since lol. If it starts squeeking im going back and having them add the posi fluid also but if the fluid doesnt work imma just upgrade the rear-end. So far though i have had no problems.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:11 PM

How exactly does a rear end squeek sound. I dont think mine is rear end gear/diferrential squeek. It sounds more brake related but I don't want to get myself into anything without knowing for sure. I was told by quite a few people to avoid synthetic in the rear end.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:30 PM

Sounds like your axle(s) slidling out on turns and causing your rotors to contact your brake caliper. I had the same issue a long time ago. I just pulled the calipers and ground off a little material where it was contacting. If it's contacting, you should see where it's touching by looking on your rotors. It will probably be touching the very outter edges of your rotors. It's usually caused by the C-clips wearing a little and creating more slop enabling your axles to slide out a bit more then normal. As long as you retain C-clips, your gonna proably deal with that from time to time unless you either shim or take off some from your calipers like stated a few posts up. Hope that helps you out.

Ken R.