Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Cause of Front End Jarring

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:07 AM

Cause of Front End Jarring

I hate to beat a dead horse, as it seems that many are experiencing some sort of anomaly with their F-bodie's ride quality. I've been experiencing an extreme jar to the front end when I run over a very rough spot in the road. The other day, it felt like the driver's side front actually bottomed out. I purchased some ZR1's and Nitto 555's yesterday and the ride is much better all around, however, when the dreaded "rough" spot appears I swear it feels like the front end is being ripped out, and makes me cringe every time. As mentioned above, the tires and wheels have made a huge improvement in the overall ride quality, but the hard jarring really bothers me. I've checked nearly every bolt or nut I could get my air wrench on, and they are tight. One thought was to "shot-gun" approach it and replace most "consumable" parts (Ball Joints, Bushings, Shocks, Springs, etc.), but with the latest jarring that felt as if the front end bottomed-out, I'm leaning towards the stock springs being the primary culprit. I know shocks buffer the ride, but they aren't responsible for preventing such broad travel in the suspension...are they? It seems to me that the springs should prevent the front end from traveling such extremes which result in situations like the bottoming-out I've been experiencing. Any thoughts on the direction I should take? This is my weekend warrior car, besides my lifted Chevy 1500, and my touring sedan...so I don't want to spend the money to totally rebuild it.

Thanks for any help or advice!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Re: Cause of Front End Jarring

You could have blown out a shock. Did you look for oil dripping out of the front shocks?

Another possibility - you tore the center (where the shock mounts) out of the upper spring seat. They dry rot and will eventually fall apart.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestions INJUNEER...I'll check those suggestions out. When I was under the car...I didn't notice anything like what you mentioned...but I wasn't thinking along those lines either.

How can you quickly tell if the ball joints are shot? Is it if the wheel assembly moves, even slightly when the car is jacked up or on jack stands? Also, since I'm experiencing what seems to be a pretty firm ride...should I install OEM bushings, or poly...or something in between?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 AM

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:26 AM

There should be no movement of the spindle assembly/wheel when the car is in the air. Any movement means something is loose; therefore broken/worn.

If you can wiggle the tire up/down then it's either the hub or a ball joint; if you can wiggle it forward/backward then it's either a hub or tie-rod end.

As for suspensions bushings, Most people replace them with Poly. You could do a rubber, but for the cost the poly is a better material.

I would also suggest what Injuneer suggested as that's a probable cause as well.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:44 AM

Well...as it turns out...I took the car to a local suspension shop and they were able to determine that the problem with the "hard" jarring...was due to none other than the Tie-rods...specifically both outer tie-rods (one was shot, and the other was totally dry...so replaced it too), and the driver's side inner tie-rod. Now the car drives great...solid...and straight thanks to the alignment. Life is good again...even if this car is just my "toy" or weekend project!
Old 07-26-2011, 01:40 PM

Our cars only have outer tie rods; there is no inner tie-rods. Rack-and-pinion setups like ours only have the 2 outers which connect the spindles to the rack.

So if they charged you for 3 tie rods, then you got taken.