Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Causes of excessive tracking !?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 12:35 PM

Causes of excessive tracking !?

My car tracks a lot .. a lot more than a normal car with wide front tires should ... I wonder if worn tie rod ends or ball joints or hubs could cause that .. I hear a lot of noise from both my front hubs (will be changing them soon), and I know my ball joints can't be in good shape as I damaged the boot when doing the LS1 brake swap... I wonder if changing the hub, lower ball joint and tie rod ends will remedy this horrible ride or if i should look elsewhere for a fix ..
Old 03-27-2005, 08:21 PM

Re: Causes of excessive tracking !?

Did you get an alignment after the brake swap? If not, you could have excessive toe out, which will cause excessive tracking.

Dan
Old 03-28-2005, 06:19 AM

I would say you've covered just about all the possibilities, if that doesn't cover it, then I'd say it was "normal"

My car tracks to the road like crazy, especially on grooved road, I have to fight to keep the car straight; one of the down sides of running a 10.5" (275) tire in the front.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:21 PM

I did get an alignment afterwards .. but I can't really trus the shop that did it .. I think i'll get those pieces changed and take it to another shop .. those guys looked a bit shady lol ..

my 94 had 275s up front too but it never tracked this bad .. my arms actually get tired after driving the car for half an hour .. I almost hit another car in the next lane cuz i wasnt holding onto the steering wheel tight enough...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:39 PM

My car tracks pretty bad if the roads are beat-up or if semi's frequent the highway(s) due to the weight of the trucks. Apparently after soooo many years of semi's driving down the same lanes over & over again the freeways in Los Angeles get grooves in them that one does not see...But the tires sure tend to find them!!!
I have new suspension, and the tracking was the same when I had the original factory setup, so I know it's the roads...

Okay, maybe needing new front tires in about 2K-4K miles doesn't help either
Old 03-28-2005, 07:04 PM

Maybe bad ball joints/tie rod ends? I know you said you have a new suspension, but just trying to help. Or maybe a worn rag joint?

Laters,

Eric
Old 03-28-2005, 08:17 PM

i run 285's all the way around and my car tracks pretty good. There's one highway here where tractor trailers wore some visible grooves into the road, and that's the only road that it really acts up on.

It was noticeably worse when I took off the STB for a couple weeks while working on the supercharger duct work. If you don't have a STB, I would suggest one.