Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Ceramic pads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:05 AM

Ceramic pads?

For an LS1.

Who makes/sells them? How are they for the street? Track? (road course)

Basically I'm tired of brake dust, and currently running Hawk HPS pads ... they're brutal for dusting .

So far, the factory pads were the best (cleanest, and no squeaking) IMO .

Opinions/advice/suggestions??? Thx!!
Old 01-29-2007, 02:52 PM

I don't have an LS1 but I do have ceramic pads on my '96. I got them from NAPA, they work great and absolutely no dust that I can see.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:46 PM

autozone has morse ceramic which work great, minimal dusting, they also have duralast gold ceramic, dont know how good those are
Old 01-30-2007, 03:39 PM

Have them (forget name) from Advance. Work Great! No dusting on the chrome rims.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:41 PM

capt pete, aside form dust, how did the hawks perform and squeak? i have a set waiting to be installed with new rotors. i knew going in they would dust more, but no big deal to me. im more concerned about stopping. was there a noticable differance in stopping between the hawks and stock? thanx in advance.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:26 PM

I have the Morse pads from Auto Zone. No dust, no squeaks, and they seem to work as goor as the Performance Friction pads I had.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by myslowcamaro
capt pete, aside form dust, how did the hawks perform and squeak? i have a set waiting to be installed with new rotors. i knew going in they would dust more, but no big deal to me. im more concerned about stopping. was there a noticable differance in stopping between the hawks and stock? thanx in advance.
As far as their performance, they seem to work great . I did the brakes early last summer ... Powerslot rotors on all 4 corners, and the Hawk pads. After a couple months on the road, and a track day , the rears started to squeal more often than not, when slowing down almost to a stop at intersections, etc. .

But like I said, I took the car out on the track a couple times last year (once on Mosport's small (DDT) track, once on their big track) and the brakes seemed to hold up to my (slow) driving . Obviously they're not the full "race" pads, so if I really pushed the car to its limit, I'm sure these pads would start to fade?

For how I drive, I don't think I need extreme/race pads, I just want something that's not going to squeal all the time, and not make a damn mess of my (new Z06) wheels .

Thanks for the suggestions on the ceramics so far! I'll have to check out who carries what up here (Canadian suppliers, eh? ) ... I'll check with NAPA though. Anyone know if GM supplies ceramic pads for our cars?? I still say my favourite pads were the factory ones (whatever they were?!?!)
Old 02-01-2007, 11:14 AM

Last summer I did the LS1 front brake upgrade and chose the Autozone Duralast Gold Ceramic pads up front and the Morse Ceramic pads for my stock LT1 rears... I don't race, but the brake performance is very good in my daily driver and I no longer have to wash brake dust off the wheels...

All told, I think the LS1 upgrade plus new pads turning the rotors, new brake fluid, cleaner, synthetic brake lube, etc... It probably cost me about 300 total... New pads were about $100 of that...