Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Cheap decent shocks/struts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 AM

Cheap decent shocks/struts?

Yes I know Bilstein HDs are pretty nice, and I wish for the day again where I bought a set new in box off a board member for $200 shipped.

Either way, I have a 2000 v6 that I am driving now. I picked it up for $2k, car is in good shape, but typical usual, high mileage car neglect. I am driving it daily and looking to get a suv as well like a Grand Cherokee, to complement it, and between both cars get around.

I am not looking to dump alot of money into the car, but willing to spend some to increase the comfort, fun, and drive ability of the car. My morning commute is usually pretty spirited, some long sweeping curves at higher speeds.

Either way the suspension is pretty bad. My first order of business is a set of z28 or older v6 sway bars, and fresh poly, or "performance rubber" bushings.(looking at what advanced auto offers, and weighing the pricing), would pick up the bars at the junkyard.

The 2k v6 has a 28/15mm sway bar setup.

I am going to at least a 30mm front, and a 17 or 19mm rear sway, depending on what I can find in the yards(17 on older v6s, 19, on z28s)

Now on to shocks, these things are dead.... I am looking for a replacement.

Quick look I get can get monroes from advanced auto for $220ish. Quick coupon code and I can get them for $175. I think if I fiddle and split the order up I can get them for $140ish.

Do you guys know of any other options that are worthwhile? I mean I know monroes are not the greatest quality, but I am not building a purpose built car, and I am sure they will be lightyears ahead of 12 year old shocks, that have 117k on them.

Keep in mind price is important, willing to fork over a few more bucks if the quality is worth it, but not looking at the $360 range of Bilsteins.

Hoping after I get a clutch in, and this suspension stuff to swing by the tail of the dragon for a weekend trip for fun.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:02 PM

Re: Cheap decent shocks/struts?

be happy that's your price range. the hd's on a thirdgen front are $500+ for just the two. you get what you pay for.. just search around on the net and find the cheapest thing you can as i'm sure it will be just fine for you and unless your dropping a large amount of coin the specific details of the shocks really don't matter so long as it's valved for your cars specific model weight application.