Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

chic w/ new camaro needs advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 03:36 PM

Smile chic w/ new camaro needs advice!

i just wanted some suggestions on some things for my car. i have a 00 chev camaro Z28/ w t tops. my boyfriend said i should start with my suspension first. i was thing about doin the strut tower brace first, then the front and rear sway bars. what does everyone think about Hotchkis??? i was also gonna get KYB agx gas shocks??? my boyfriend said i should probably stick with gas, not air shocks. i am just looking to spice up my car a lil and some good suggestions.

thanks
Old 05-14-2004, 03:44 PM

What do you have in mind for your car...more speed, power, looks, handling, etc.? Need more details for folks to give suggestions.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:56 PM

I'd save money on the strut tower brace till you have done evertying else.

for shocks, I like Bilsteins, but they arent adjustable.

springs, probably the eibach pro kit (1.3" drop)

sway, jsut do the front, unless your hard core racing it you wont notice the rear.

but do sub frame connectors first.

I like spohn and BMR suspension, and SLP sub frames.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Xride
I'd save money on the strut tower brace till you have done evertying else.

for shocks, I llove the kyb's, great and fully adjustable!

springs, probably the eibach pro kit (1.5" drop)

sway, jsut do the front, unless your hard core racing it you wont notice the rear.

but do the sub frame connectors first.

I like BMR suspension, and SLP sub frames.
fixed!
Old 05-14-2004, 09:01 PM

A stiffer front swaybar is an excellent first mod. After that I would do subframe connectors.
Bilsteins are a better choice than KYBs.
You might also consider brake upgrades.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:57 AM

Wink thanks for the replies

thanks everyone...keep it coming...i like what i'm hearing. break upgrade i think is a MUST. that B*tch will not stop at the last minute!!! =)
another thing is i just have a regular, flat hood. should i go for a scoop hood...someone told me it will help my car "breathe" better!
i'm looking for some 18" w/ low profiles if u know anyone selling. or even a trade for my 16" w/ new tires.

and to answer my first reply...i'm looking for the car to handle better and lil more power and i will work more on looks last!
Old 05-17-2004, 11:37 AM

A scooped hood will only add noticeable HP if you have a non-stock induction system and have a ram induction hood. Very pricey, and not needed for your car at this stage.

Even with new tires. those 16's wont get you much $.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:40 PM

I think what you will find is everyone has an opinion and most are brand loyal. Afterall, a person doesn't trash talk parts that the owner just dropped some serious coin on.

On my car I have run Eibach, Hotchkis, BMR, KVR and LG Motorsports parts.

If you are wanting better handling, then I suggest a good alignment. The stock alignment is not set for performance, rather than safety. I suggest

-1.0* camber
+4.5* caster
zero toe

With those setting, the car will wander a bit because of the toe settings. It will require you to actually drive and pay attention to driving. But turn in crispness is amazing.

The next thing I would do is install a good set of shocks. I have never run a set of KYBs, but I have never seen a set on an F-Body at one of the local AXs or on a road course. I tend to think that is parts are good and cheap(er), racers will flock to them.

Bilstein shocks are a quality shock and at an affordable cost ... ~$350 delivered if you shop wisely.

Springs are a different animal. There is no spring on the market I would recommend. The ProKit is just too soft for street application, IMHO. Too many times does the rear bounce off the bumpstops.

If handling is your goal, then change the REAR swaybar to a 21mm. It's a '93 1LE rear sway bar. After the springs and shocks, this will loosen the car and make it a better turning car.

You still might have some issues on track out as you can't get all the push out with a sway bar change. You can help a lot with more camber, but that is a whole new level of handling intensity.

If you are looking for that intensity, then LG Motorsports is the ONLY place to get quality 4th gen suspension components that work well and are quiet. For handling in the twisties, rod end components are the only way to go. Cheap rod ends will drive you crazy!

On LS1 cars, folks are putting down 320 at the wheels with a lid and a nice catback. Lids are all pretty much the same. So whatever you decide will more than likely be fine. Find some locals and listen to their catbacks. Each has it's own distinctive sound. Make your decisions on real world experience.

To get any more power, you are ooking at cam, headers, LS6 intake and ported heads. Again, that stuff ratchets up the intensity level.

First and foremost, have fun. The car is just nuts and bolts and not an original copy of the constitution, so use it.

My thoughts ....
Old 05-18-2004, 08:43 AM

so everyone has said front sway bar....what brand and size?
Old 05-18-2004, 12:14 PM

The SLP Bilstein shock/Eibach spring combo is a really good value. I installed the Level 2 kit on my Firehawk, and it produced a really noticeable improvement in ride & handling, and looks too (the drop is about 3/4" overall). Do some price shopping, you should be able to buy the kit for about $800 U.S. approximately. On the sway bar front, I've just ordered the 2002-spec SLP sway bar combo (35mm front, 21mm back), you can probably do better price wise by shopping Hotchkis, but I'm satisfied with SLP so far. Subframe connectors are a good idea, particularly on a T-Top equipped daily driver, they start to rattle & squeak after a while. And, an adjustable panhard bar (mine is by Hotchkis) is a good idea on a lowered car. You can also get boxed LCA (Lower Control Arms), polyurethane bushings (mine are by Energy Suspension), and an adjustable torque arm (my Edelbrock unit is on order right now). And, last but not least, a strut brace (I have the Edelbrock three point brace) is a good idea too.

Overall, the best value for the dollar: the SLP Bilstein/Eibach combo. You will really notice the difference! Good luck.

1999 Trans Am Firehawk #C008
Old 05-18-2004, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by CsAngelZ28
I'd head over to one of our supporting sponsers such as Thunder Racing. They're doing a sale right now. If you purchase 3 separate BMR suspension parts you'll get a 15% discount. So, order up a front BMR sway bar, BMR Subframe connectors, maybe some springs, panhard rod, lower control arms, and relocation brackets. Then you'll be set.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:02 PM

since you have t-tops, I would do Subframe Connectors 1st.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by CsAngelZ28
One of two choices for the front:

1. Suspension Techniques 35mm front OR Sam Strano 35mm hollow front.

2. Strano 22mm hollow for the rear.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:42 AM

what are subframe connectors, please explain to me???

thanks =)
Old 05-25-2004, 09:28 AM

A F-Body actually has two frames connected together by some rubber bushings and big bolts. Subframe connectors tie those two frames together to make the body more rigid.

Quick Reply: chic w/ new camaro needs advice!