Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

chic w/ new camaro needs advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by CsAngelZ28
what are subframe connectors, please explain to me???

thanks =)
Most cars now are a unibody construction. Meaning they don't have a full frame, like trucks and SUV's do. Subframe connectors, connect the front subframe to the rear subframe to mimic a full frame car.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by bruecksteve
A F-Body actually has two frames connected together by some rubber bushings and big bolts. Subframe connectors tie those two frames together to make the body more rigid.
say what now?

subframe connectors attach at the lower control arm bracket at the rear and to the main structural part of the unibody at the front. it jsut prevents the middle of the car from flexing (as much)

Last edited by Xride; 05-26-2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:21 PM

Excuse me?????

That's EXACTLY what what they do. Have you ever crawled under your car?????????????

Not only that, look under a 2nd gen. 4 bolts and big rubber bushings hold the two frames together.

Last edited by bruecksteve; 05-25-2004 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:16 PM

Excuse me?????

That's EXACTLY what what they do. Have you ever crawled under your car?????????????

Not only that, look under a 2nd gen. 4 bolts and big rubber bushings hold the two frames together.
Have YOU.

She owns a 4TH gen. I havent been under a 1,2, or 3rd gen.

but I have mine, a 4th gen. and their are NO bolts holding the frame together.

There is the K member.... but SFC dont go that far.
there is the rear suspension, the front suspension.... and the K member.

if you take every single last bold and screw from a 4th gen you will have a complete unibody in one peice.
the only bolts between the front and rear wheels are the tunnel brace and the tranny brace.

there are NO BOLTS HOLDING THE UNIBODY together.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:03 AM

You're right. My apologies. I am thinking of my older F-Body's. The K-member simply shortens what use to be the "subframe" on the older cars yet it still is held on by big bolts and rubber bushings.

But I don't think jackass is the correct thing to say either. You should think about how and what you say before you run at the mouth.

And personally, I don't think subframe connectors are entirely necessary either. My car has 174,000 miles with very hard autocross use and I don't have all of the squeaks and rattles and things falling off that some people claim will happen if you don't use them. Will it help make the car feel more solid? Yes. Will it make it handle better? Nothing you can quantify. IMHO you'd be better off spending your money on things (sway bars, shocks and springs) that will make it handle better first and save the subframe (really an incorrect term on a 4th gen) connectors for last.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:50 AM

You're right. My apologies. I am thinking of my older F-Body's. The K-member simply shortens what use to be the "subframe" on the older cars yet it still is held on by big bolts and rubber bushings.

But I don't think jackass is the correct thing to say either. You should think about how and what you say before you run at the mouth.

And personally, I don't think subframe connectors are entirely necessary either. My car has 174,000 miles with very hard autocross use and I don't have all of the squeaks and rattles and things falling off that some people claim will happen if you don't use them. Will it help make the car feel more solid? Yes. Will it make it handle better? Nothing you can quantify. IMHO you'd be better off spending your money on things (sway bars, shocks and springs) that will make it handle better first and save the subframe (really an incorrect term on a 4th gen) connectors for last.
sorry if it seemed harsh, it jsut seemed your post was ment to give misinformation to someone less knowing.
My apologies. (I will edit after posting this)

I dont know about rattles etc as both my cars have been very low milage. but I do know that when I go up a curb it feels tight.
I do know that in the corners it does feel nicer, dont know if it let me hold more speed, but it did make the rear end more predicable to when its breaking loose.
and in an accedent the slp dd ones hold the passanger comparment nice and square too.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:02 PM

I think subframe connectors are a pretty wise first mod.

The one thing I would do that no one else has mentioned and it is more of a modification to you, not the car and that is do a high performance driving event. I think the National Auto Sport Association may have a few of them around where you are and they are fairly inexpensive. Summit Point, which s fairly close to me offers Friday's At The Track and they are a couple hundred bucks but you drive away knowing a whole lot more about how to wring the most outta your car. And you do get an instructor riding with you and some time on the skidpad.

You might want to also check on a Kenny Brown suspension package. If I remember correctly, those springs are made by Hyperco, which are extremely high quality (they are used by a lot of IRL, F1 teams).

But if you lower your car and use a non adjustable lower control arm, I would recommend Spohn LCA relocation brackets.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:32 PM

What subframe connectors will do is make the car more stable over uneven pavement. Before I put them on my car, it would chase bumpy pavement all over the place. It was really pretty unsettling. Now it tracks much straighter across the same pavement.
Plus my boxed BMR SFCs provide and excellent place to jack up the front of the car and excellent places to put jackstands.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:48 PM

wow u guys just had a whole conversation in my thread and i feel so NOT included =)~....thanks for all ur info u guys!
u know my car makes lots of noises too. alot sounds like its coming from the read end. and my exhaust is loose so i need someone to fix that for me. i can hear it rattle sometimes