Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Classic Camaro Suspension Overhaul!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:41 PM

Question Classic Camaro Suspension Overhaul!

Hey! im redoing my '67 camaro ss suspension to give me the best proformance i can. I have asked before on how to do this and many guys say to just do Hotchkis' suspension kit. I've looked into this and have considered it to be my 2'nd option. My first choice (maybe... I've got some questions) is the 'Fatman Wonderbar"' (http://www.fatmanfab.com/06page23.htm) for the rear and possabley the 'Moders suspension for your classic camaro' (http://www.fatmanfab.com/06page23.htm) if money allows. I have looked at the rear end "wonderbar" setup and was wondering how well it really works?? Has anyone else out there done this modification?? The last question about the rear end has to do with making it instead of buying it. I am very experienced with AutoCAD and I'm pretty sure i can draw the brackets necessary for this setup. My dad works at a small machine shop as the manager and could possabley get some of the guys to make the parts that i would draw. I think the only parts i would need to buy are the U-bolts, Coilovers, panhard bar, and monoleafs. But befor i spend some time taking measurments off of my car and drawing these parts, i really wanna know how well it handles!!

For the front end...
i need disk brakes (its a must). I'm limited with my cash flow (probably about $2,500) so i dont know how doable the complete bolt on front end is. Befor i consider this setup an absolut 'no', i would also really like to know how well it handles. I am by no means at all a 'suspension expert' or anywhere near it. But if no one has put one of these on their cars, could any of you help me find out how well this setup will perform??
Lets say the 'bang for my buck' wasn't very good for the bolt on kit, my next option would be a front disk brake conversion with 2" drop spindles, A complete front end rebuild kit from possabley Hotchkis with stiffer springs, a bigger sway bar, and Poly bushings. Other guys have told me a steering box out of a 3'rd gen ('77-'81??) would be the best steering upgrade.

I am lookin for a well performing suspension for around $3,000 for the front and rear. i am open to any and all opintions and sugestions. Plz help me decide what to do with my car!!

Thanks!!
Craig Karduck

Last edited by cDuck28Z; 03-22-2006 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:43 AM

Re: Classic Camaro Suspension Overhaul!

You'll get a 2"-3" drop, which can be find tuned...
They need to fix that in that link...
Old 03-25-2006, 12:29 PM

Re: Classic Camaro Suspension Overhaul!

Anybody ever do this mod??? Anybody have any ideas on how it will handle?? Also, does anybody know if there is a Mustang II setup for a '67 camaro out there???