Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

clearance sale as SLP-Bilstein's etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 10:48 AM

Re: clearance sale as SLP-Bilstein's etc

Originally Posted by shoebox
Sure it does or I would not have been able to buy a set from them a while back. Look again.
Sorry, you're right I went to the dropdown list in the upper right corner of the page before looking further. $327 shipped...not bad if you ask me!! I'm going to the F Body Gathering in Bowling Green in 2 weeks, so sometime in October I'll get the funds together to go grab those...

So these are considered HD units? Over stock deCarbons, what can I expect? The reason I ask is because I have 4 OEM takeoff deCarbons I bought from SLP a long time ago for $50. I've driven Firehawks with the Level 1 Kit, and loved the ride/handling tradeoff. What can I expect with these slightly different HD units on an otherwise stock suspension car, that will remain stock?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Joe 1320
Sam,
I have a 97 WS6 with Intrax lowering springs. The ride quality is great, but I'm getting close to needing shocks. I have a full BMR rear suspension, airlift bags in the rear coils but the front is still stock. What shocks would you suggest? The primary purpose of the car is street driver, some dragstip action but still like it to perform in the corners. Any insight would be appreciated! Oh.... wheels are Borbet Type M 17x9.5 and SZ50s 285/40/17 on all four corners.
Intrax springs tend to be very low, which makes life on shocks hard because they then have very little travel in which to do their job. But the bigger issue is nobody seems to know what spring rates the Intrax are either, and being that shocks are spring dampers first and foremost, that's an issue when it comes to recommendations. At that point I have to recommend an adjustable shock so you can set it where they best work for you.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by kevm14
That they added rebound without adding compression damping (in fact they took it away according to you) is NOT good for lowering springs. With stiffer aftermarket lowering springs, this can lead to a jacking effect during long, bumpy corners. It could also lead to compromised tire/road compliance. I can't believe they removed compression damping...
The rebound is needed to control more spring rate. And it's not all that much so as to jack the car down. But I agree that the taking away of compression is a bit odd, and was a ride oriented thing more than a performance one.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:04 AM

You guys aren't saving all that much money by using bimmerparts.com. Some yes, but then again you are buying from a company with no knowledge of your car, and that knowledge is important when it comes to making sure you are getting the proper parts for your needs. I realize that money is money, but when you have to spend it twice because you might not purchased the right thing, it's a net loss.

There is a saying... "the bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten". The Bilsteins' are fine quality wise, but often are not fine damping wise, especially for those with lowering springs. And if you have a problem with the parts (warranty, delivery, what have you), it's nice to be able to speak to someone you can find easily and has a clue about your car/situation.

MHO
Old 09-01-2005, 11:41 AM

Well like I said, for a stock suspension, are these HD Bilsteins the way to go? I'm not married to the idea of Bimmerparts, either. I originally planned to purchase the SLP Bilsteins.

What would you recommend (keeping in mind the rest of the suspension will remain stock), and where would you go to get them?
Old 09-01-2005, 11:51 AM

HD's should be fine on a stock car. It will firm it up over the stock DeCarbons.

If you want custom shocks or advice, then go to Strano or someone like that. If you are set on HDs and just comparing one site to another, the obvious is to get them the cheapest that you can, taking into consideration the service of the seller.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:04 PM

Jason E.... tried to PM you, you mailbox is full.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the info...didn't realize it I just cleaned it out...send away!
Old 09-02-2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by stereomandan
I have the Bilstein HD's from Sam (not revalved) with my stock springs, and they are a very nice upgrade. Anythink stiffer on the compression, and it would be too rough for me. They are just right. Combine them with the 35mm front sway bar, and 21mm rear bar, and woohoo! It's a thrill to drive. A night and day difference from stock.

Dan

I have the same set up, just right