Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

clunking over hardish bumps..

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:06 AM

Re: clunking over hardish bumps..

yeahhhhh
Old 05-31-2011, 09:52 PM

SOOOO annoyed. I have now changed:
-the poly lower control arms out for the stock arms, boxed up with 1LE bushings.
-Strano lowering springs
-Koni Sport shocks 4/3 kit

That damn clunk is still there, and I would say it may be a touch worse!

It happens on a crappy road, with the suspension working pretty good. I also get it to "pop" when I rev the motor pretty good and slowly let the clutch out... like it is stressing the rear suspension.

Additionally, it will do that pop noise too when I go in reverse up an incline.

HELP I cant figure out what this clunk/pop is, its seriously making my car sound like a pile of rice.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:55 PM

Have you put a wrench on all the bolts back there? From your description i would check the torque arm through bolts. If you have access to a drive on lift this would make quick work of finding the source of your noise. That is, if it's easily make it make the noise.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 PM

My car makes noise on bumpy roads also. I have a new torque arm,LCAs,shocks and bushings are in good shape. After reading this thread I will check the exhaust and rear seat bolts. I'm kind of thinking out loud here; whats the possibilty that the back hatch and all the plastic from the back seat back 'just makes noise'? When the hatch is closed it 'should be' locked but those hatches are so damn heavy. Maybe they move enough to make some noise along with the plastic in the back?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 PM

yup I have ramps. Drove her up there tonight and went to town. What I found thus far:
the front jam nut on the torque arm was not tight. I snugged that up.. the backing up popping seems to be gone now.
The stupid rear drive shaft safety loop has never fit on my car, hits the tunnel and exhaust, so I took the loop off, and all that is left is a quarter of the loop that is welded to the torque arm. Well, that corner was molesting the drive shaft on massive bumps, as there was a paint scrape all the way around. I took a grinder to that and clearanced it for the shaft.
I tightened everything I could get a wrench on, like all torque arm mounting bolts, panhard bar, lca, shocks. Everything. Didn't find anything out of the ordinary.
Looked in the wheel wells, and the big tires were rubbing just a touch on the passenger side inside wheel well. Clearanced that some more. Since lowering it I have had to play with a bunch of crap.
Im hoping that front jam nut was the main culprit, we shall see when I put some miles on her. I never checked that one before, so it would make sense that the noise was still there after new LCA, shocks and springs. haha.

Stupid car, nothing aftermarket EVER plays well with other parts. But half the fun is making it play well, right?!

Ill report back when I get more miles on the biatch.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 PM

oh yeah, my exhaust has already been clearanced everywhere, so for my specific car, that isn't the problem. I like the thinking out loud idea though!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 PM

Played with the exhaust (and changed the rear sway bar) and there was a little bit of slack in the rubber hangers. Had some rubber that's about a 1/16" thick and used that to take up some of the slack. It 'might' have helped. Seems to be a bit quieter over uneven pavement.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
Played with the exhaust (and changed the rear sway bar) and there was a little bit of slack in the rubber hangers. Had some rubber that's about a 1/16" thick and used that to take up some of the slack. It 'might' have helped. Seems to be a bit quieter over uneven pavement.
My custom exhaust is already pretty tight, and I grabbed a hold of it and shook the crap out of it, and Im satisfied that isn't the clunking.

Hopefully it works for you though!