Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Coil-Over Lengths and Spring Rates

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 09:44 PM

Coil-Over Lengths and Spring Rates

Does anyone run a full true coil-over setup here?

If you do, what are your Overall lengths, Length of travel, and what Spring rates are u using?

I have the entire suspension torn apart, and want to go to a true-coil-over setup with double-adjustables in all 4 corners. Most likely a Koni DA, QA1, or similar.

Any guidance would be great.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:00 PM

Re: Coil-Over Lengths and Spring Rates

What is your goal for this car? Is it gonna be road-raced or autocrossed at all, or is it primarily a street car with occasional trips to the drag strip and/or RR and AX events? Anyways, I guess where I am trying to get to is that a full coil-over setup (LG Motorsports makes the only "bolt-on" coil-over setup for our cars, I think Unbalanced Engineering can also make a custom setup) will be overkill unless you are all-out road-racing. Not to mention it will be very expensive with double-adjustable shocks (think more than $3Gs).

I should also point out that your options in shocks represent the extreme opposite sides of the spectrum... Konis are great for handling, while QA1s are pretty much drag only with acceptable handling characteristics. This brings me back to my initial question about what you want to do with the car. Shock travel, shock length, spring rates are also irrelevant without knowing what you want to do. If you let us know, maybe we can help out better.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:18 PM

Ok, It's a street driven car (low milage, less than 5K per year easy) and streetability is not typical for some due to a planned 500rwhp.

I'd say it's mostly going to be a auto-X car, with a few trips to the Drag Strip per year.

I'm going to be doing the fab work for the brakets, and system. I didn't know those 2 were that far apart, and from what I now understood is that I should head for the Koni's.

Now I just need to figure out which ones to get and what springs.

Oh, and the entire suspension is Chromoly tubing and rod-ended; front and rear.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:08 AM

If you are just going to autocross it occasionally, I would recommend that you look into the height adjusters by Ground Control. It takes a little work to get them to fit over the Koni shocks, but if you are willing to fabricate brackets for your coil-overs, I would guess you can get these to fit. The good thing about the GC setup is the wide range of spring and spring rate availability (basically anything from street friendly to race-only) as well as the ability to set the ride height through a pretty wide range (and ability to adjust corner weights, if you get into hardcore racing), although I should mention that you will need a new alignment every time you lower or raise the car a significant amount, so most people just find one setting and just leave it there anyways.

But then again, it should be stated that Konis probably won't be the best for the strip, and may cost you a couple tenths. But if you don't care about that, Konis will be great. And before you pony up for the double-adjustable Konis, you should also look into the single adjustable ones. F-bodies do not benefit nearly as much from the additional compression adjustments of the double-adjustables so the single adjustables are usually more than enough for most.

I will also stick with my words when I say true coil-overs will be overkill (and money overspent) for you. You can accomplish the same goals through a different route and for much less money. You might want to give someone like Sam Strano a call as he knows way more than I do on the subject and he can give you his two cents on the subject.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:16 AM

hmm... I might do that. Thanks for the information though.