Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Coil-overs or standard shocks/struts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:12 AM

Coil-overs or standard shocks/struts?

I need to replace my shocks/struts and I'd like to upgrade my suspension but I'm not sure if a coil-over setup is a good idea or if I should just go back with a standard shock/strut setup. I have Eibach pro springs with what appears to be the stock shocks/struts with 112k on em. My car is back to being a daily driver right now (if that's a factor at all?). I rarely go to the drag strip but once it's not my daily, I plan on fixing some issues and possibly getting into some autoX or some more 1/4 mile runs. Any good setup suggestions would be helpful also. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 AM

AutoX and drag require completely different shock set-ups. I suppose you could go all out and get fully adjustable shocks that would do both- but the springs are still going to be different.

If you are planning on it being a DD for awhile I would just pick up some stock replacements for awhile and call it good until you decide which avenue you want to take your car down. It can do both, but won't perform at its best unless you pick either straight-line or turns to set-up.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Your 4th Gen doesn't have any "struts". It has coil-over shocks in the front, and simple shocks in the back.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 PM

It won't be a DD much longer, just have to sell my Audi first and buy a replacement DD. So let's say I want to set it up for autoX, but don't want to go too extreme with it because I still want to be able to drive it on the rough *** roads of LA occasionally. I'd rather spend that money for stock shocks on a better set up even if I just have to roll with my worn out ones for a little longer. Thanks.