Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Compressing front SPRINGs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 09:01 PM

Compressing front SPRINGs...

I wanted to know how much it would cost to have a shop compress my front springs.....I'm going to lower my car with the eibach pro kit..... I'm going to take them out myself...... I just wanted to know around how much they charge for compressing the front struts... THANX.......
Old 05-10-2004, 09:55 PM

few bucks??? I think thats more on the shop, some might charge shop rate for however long it takes.... where I'm getting mine done I have order many parts from, so they said bring them by and they'll do it for free, but they let me borrow speical tools and stuff too.

you could "rent" a spring compressor from autozone or whatever is closest to you.
they usually charge you for what it cost (so you dont just keep it) and then when you take it back they refund it.
I personally havent used this though, but when you do be very carefull as a compressed spring has huge potiention engery.

Last edited by Xride; 05-10-2004 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:37 PM

Dont use a spring compressor and learn the hard way like I did. I later had mine compressed. It took 10 minutes and only cost me 15$ I was glad to do it, I would hav paid 40. it was that bad.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Bone Daddy
Dont use a spring compressor and learn the hard way like I did. I later had mine compressed. It took 10 minutes and only cost me 15$ I was glad to do it, I would hav paid 40. it was that bad.
damn, is it that bad?

I've never done it, but have firends that have.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:20 PM

Yes, it was. I rented two different kind of spring compressors, and could'nt get the damn spring to compress right with the shortened length. It wouldnt compress level no matter what I did, and the spring was starting to gaul the threads on both tools!!! And that was with the softer sportlines, I'd hate to have to try with the firmer pro's. It killed my hands and made me use my entire naughty vacobulary in the span of an hour. The guy at the shop used a big azz compressor tool and made it look annoyingly simple. I was pissed.

oh one other thing...

The guy at the shop said to me before I left, "Don't feel bad, we get this at least 6 times a day, and they've all been to AutoZone first "

Food for thought huh?

Last edited by Bone Daddy; 05-10-2004 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:55 PM
Administrator

I've had good luck using the Lisle PN 62300 McPherson Strut Tool. It has u-bolts on each end that bolt firmly to the spring coils to prevent it from slipping off. Using an air-driven impact wrench take most of the work out of it. The Pro-Kits weren't very hard to compress.

http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/im...otos/shk02.jpg

http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/im...otos/shk01.jpg
Old 05-11-2004, 03:20 AM

i went to my local rip off store (read midas) and they wanted $80 cdn just to remove the springs, and put my eibachs on there, my jaw almost hit the ground... so i went, $14 rental of a spring compressor... worked just fine, as far as compression the spring... similar to the above one