Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Cutting the coil springs???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:39 PM

Cutting the coil springs???

Has anyone successfully cut their coil springs? I have an 93 LT1 Camaro and I wanted to cut a ring or two off my car...

Thanks!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:41 PM

Just don't use a torch and you can. 1 coil is about all I'd do.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:47 PM

Does anyone have any pics of it done???

Is it hard?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:49 PM

Besides lowering (which I guess it your reason to do it), it will increase the spring rate and make it ride rougher than if you were to buy lowering springs.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Besides lowering (which I guess it your reason to do it), it will increase the spring rate and make it ride rougher than if you were to buy lowering springs.
My car already rides like a rock...So I dont think it can get any worse..

I just like the lowered appearance and its a cheap way of doing it...

My buddy has a 500HP 5.0 and he chopped the springs, it looks pretty sweet.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:44 AM

I have a 2001 Z28 and I cut one coil off my springs. It really doesn't ride all that bad. I still have the stock shocks. As a matter of fact, I just did a NASA Group 1 High Performance Driving Event at Sears Point on Saturday (9/22). It was my first time on track with my car. I've got a 35mm front bar, stock rear bar and an adjustable phd bar. 17x9.5 and 11s and thats it as far as suspension goes. My instructor said that my car had good balance. That was coming from someone who drives a Mini Cooper!!!! My car, of course would have been alot better with aftermarket springs and shocks but overall I'm proud of how well my car did with the few parts I had on it. I'm looking forward to the future when I can get the right parts on my car and track it again! I highly recommend to anyone to try a NASA HPDE... you won't regret it!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 AM

^ ^ I'm sure the 35mm front bar helps A LOT!! My car's suspension is still completely stock (springs, shocks, bars) and while it DOES handle quite "respectably" on the track, it does NOT handle like it could with upgraded suspension. The body roll alone is almost humorous!!

I don't see how cutting just 1 coil would really hurt anything, but I don't know how it would make the ride stiffer??? Other than if the car bottomed out easier (which would hurt ). With stock shocks, I'm sure bottoming out would be a lot easier!
Old 09-25-2007, 01:41 PM

My rear shocks are Eldebrock shocks and the fronts are stock.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:31 PM

I cut exactly one coil off my front springs about a year and a half ago and I am very happy with it. It lowered the car about 1.25" and looks great. I have no complaints about the ride. Like other people said, the factory ride was so bad, I had nothing to lose! I say "go for it!"
Old 09-25-2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete

I don't see how cutting just 1 coil would really hurt anything, but I don't know how it would make the ride stiffer??? ...
It certainly will, because of the way spring rates are calculated.

This is a random site with an explanation.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:18 PM

^ ^ Cool ... now I know!! Thx .

So then is it technically "ok" to cut the springs on our stock F-bodies?! (or will there be any ill effects due to the LOAD that the spring can support?? )

So about ~1 coil will drop the car a little over ~1"?? (~1.25"?) ..... hmmmmmm .
Old 09-25-2007, 05:44 PM

Yeah, that 1 coil gave the car a really nice stance. I was going to remove the rubber stop at the rear springs, but really liked how it looked with just the front coils cut.

A lot of people may think that sounds wierd and image some bad slope, but it actually looks just right (IMO), and a lot of people have complimented on it as well.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:53 AM

I have yet to see any lowering springs that didn't add more spring rate than cutting a coil off stock springs would give.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I have yet to see any lowering springs that didn't add more spring rate than cutting a coil off stock springs would give.
...but you know what the advertised spring rate is. You don't when you cut a spring. It's just hit or miss whether it works for you.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:34 PM

...but you know what the advertised spring rate is. You don't when you cut a spring. It's just hit or miss whether it works for you.
So what do you think would happen if the spring rate wasn't good or high enough? I am planning on doing this to my Z28 tommorow so hopefully it goes good...Does anyone have any pics of their car? As many pics as possible would be great!!!

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Cutting the coil springs???