Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

cutting springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:34 PM

cutting springs?

I have not figured out why so many people say not to cut springs for lowering, anybody here have solid reasons why not?

1. use a cutoff wheel, not a torch.
2. It raises the spring rate, which I don't see as a bad thing.

does anybody know about how much to take off to drop a 4th gen about an inch, maybe an inch and a half?

what is the best deal on an adjustable panhard bar, I will need one to lower the car, correct?

I've cut springs on a few different cars, never had any negative effects from it.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:20 PM

Re: cutting springs?

Yes you need an adjustable phb if you lower the car to center the rear end. Cutting the springs is a horrible idea and your car will not perform well
Old 04-11-2006, 01:53 PM

I think there are several reasons that most people don't suggest cutting your stock springs to lower your car...

Even if you cut them properly without getting them hot, it is hard to predict how much lower your car will sit based on the amount of spring you remove.

Also, it is true that the spring rate will increase as you remove coils, but it will not increase enough to fully compensate for the reduction in suspension travel. This may result in a suspension that feels good so long as the road surface is pretty smooth, but may be dangerous near the limits of the shortened suspension travel.

And unless you can measure the rate of the springs after cutting them, you won't be able to get the proper dampers (shocks) unless you go with and expensive set like the Koni's where you can experiment with the bump and rebound rates... If you have the budget for Koni's, you shouldn't even be thinking about cutting your stock springs...

I looked at a bunch of options and decided to stay at stock ride height...

Good luck,
Steve
Old 04-11-2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by CheshireCat
I think there are several reasons that most people don't suggest cutting your stock springs to lower your car...

Even if you cut them properly without getting them hot, it is hard to predict how much lower your car will sit based on the amount of spring you remove.

Also, it is true that the spring rate will increase as you remove coils, but it will not increase enough to fully compensate for the reduction in suspension travel. This may result in a suspension that feels good so long as the road surface is pretty smooth, but may be dangerous near the limits of the shortened suspension travel.

And unless you can measure the rate of the springs after cutting them, you won't be able to get the proper dampers (shocks) unless you go with and expensive set like the Koni's where you can experiment with the bump and rebound rates... If you have the budget for Koni's, you shouldn't even be thinking about cutting your stock springs...

I looked at a bunch of options and decided to stay at stock ride height...

Good luck,
Steve
That helps some.

I've done this a few times to 2nd gen firebirds/TAs, and back then, I would cut 3/4 of a coil in the fronts, relocate the front eye up on the rears, and throw Herb Adams adjustable shocks on them, and they were very happy cars. It took me a few tries to get the right height though, that is true, i was only cutting a quarter coil at a time until I got where I wanted it

I think cutting a half or even one coil is not going to reduce the travel enough to be concerned with bottoming out.

If I knew the stock spring dimensions, I do have calcs here that would allow rate change comparisons, and we do have a spring tester here at work large enough to verify it all.

I realize while all this might make a street car look better, and handle better, for substantially less money, for serious autoxing, and road racing, one should just spend the money for matched up systems.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:01 PM

cut springs will have you spending too much time on the bump stops... if soft ride is important get dual rate springs... if ultimate performance is important get high spring rate.

All you need to do is look at a set of good springs to know that cut stockers aren't going to have enough spring rate for our heavy cars.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:40 PM

I cut my front springs and am very happy with it. I cut off exactly 1 coil and it dropped it just about 1.25 inches. I think it looks A LOT better. I have contemplated ditching the rear rubber isolators for a heater hose to lower it about an inch, but am not sure if I want to yet because I kind of like the stance right now. I just made sure to cut slow and take breaks with a cut off wheel, and also wrapped the springs in wet rags. Pretty easy and a nice difference. I say GO FOR IT
Old 04-25-2006, 09:53 PM

Hell, its stock springs. If you don't like it you're not out anything except time and however much of the cut-off wheel you use and electricity to run the chop saw. To fix if you don;t like it you'd either buy used stock springs (they're dirt cheap) or go ahead and spend the cash on some aftermarkets.

This has got to be a better option than all the LS1 guys who have lower rear ends than the front end and that ride bumpstops even after spending the cash for aftermarket (eibiotch) springs.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:27 PM

My buddy turbo_z did it and has no real complaints. I've had several car magazines that say its ok and say there is nothing wrong with doing so.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:44 PM

I just thought i'd add i was just watching overhauling and they needed to lower a car they were doing and they just cut the springs.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:50 AM

oh man... guys on TV said it was OK! Must be it's OK then... because we all know those actors are real car experts. Physics be damned, hollywood knows all!

All hail hollywood!

... it's a bad idea for all the reasons mentioned above... a cut spring does not provide enough travel to allow proper suspension operation unless the spring was improperly designed at the factory (and those guys ARE the experts). "Ya cannot change the laws of physics Jim!"

and with a few exceptions... folks on TV are total idiots.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:21 PM

Despite what everyone is saying about what "will happen", like I said, I did cut my front springs 1 full coil and have had zero clearance issues, no complaints about ride and handling, and am very pleased with the appearance. Like Greed4Speed said, they are STOCK springs - if you are not happy with them you can replace them for almost nothing, or upgrade to the aftermarket ones you would have spent money on anyway. You really have nothing to lose by trying except some of your cut-off wheel.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dave K
oh man... guys on TV said it was OK! Must be it's OK then... because we all know those actors are real car experts. Physics be damned, hollywood knows all!

All hail hollywood!

... it's a bad idea for all the reasons mentioned above... a cut spring does not provide enough travel to allow proper suspension operation unless the spring was improperly designed at the factory (and those guys ARE the experts). "Ya cannot change the laws of physics Jim!"

and with a few exceptions... folks on TV are total idiots.
Well usually on that show they have the makers install those parts. So i think if they cutting a spring was a bad idea they wouldn't want their people being seen on tv cutting the spring. I've also had a suspension shop cut a spring on one of my old cars, and they even have the tools to build their own springs. I've also read it in magazines by experts saying its ok so i guess i should just throw that all out and believe some guy on the internet.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:39 PM

OR... instead of being a sheep and following whoever tells you what you want to hear, you could get out a calculator and do the math yourself! It aint rocket science we're talking about here. Just because they did it on TV, or just because some aftermarket shop was willing to do it... does NOT make it a good idea.

And I HIGHLY doubt that any GM employee would be able to endorse such a potentially dangerous modification to one of their vehicles... and remain working for GM. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if cut springs voids the factory warranty.

Bounce spacers are for emergence suspension excursions... they're not supposed to be the cheap man's dual rate spring. Springs aren't that expensive, why not do it right in the first place.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:45 PM

Ok so you cut a stock spring and you make it shorter and yet stronger. If you buy an aftermarket spring its shorter and stronger.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM

You're right, it isn't rocket science. 1 or 1/2 a coil isn't going to hurt. ITS BEEN DONE!!!!

Quick Reply: cutting springs?