Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

a devil in this electronics (ABS flashing)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 08:37 PM

a devil in this electronics (ABS flashing)

Hi,

i've got the ABS light staying on.

we made a scan with a GM tech-2, but each time the scan checked for defaults, it said "no defaults" and ABS light came off. When you stop scanning, the light come back.

We then made a test ride and the scan show no speed at all sensors.

At this time the "low tract" was flashing too.

I then cleaned all sensors connections and connections at the ABS module.

No more "low tract" flashing but still the "ABS" light on.

What can be the problem ? any idea ? solution ?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:31 AM

Re: a devil in this electronics (ABS flashing)

It would appear from what I read that you have 2 problems. A malfunctioning wheel sensor will not set a code until the car starts to move yet you said the "ABS inop" light is on all the time and you can't read any sensors.

Either your scanner is malfunctioning or you indeed have 2 problems. Another point, when I scan for brake codes, I have to select either ABS or engine first. Perhaps your scanner doesn't want to allow you to go to ABS and you are actually still in the engine diagnostic area of the scanner. ?

The only place to start is to have the ABS code retrieved. Try a shop with a reputable scanner to get the code. Without the code, your stabbing in the dark.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:56 PM

hum that's what i've done : i've been to the only official GM repair shop in the contry to get the code for me. They are the only shop with a tech 2.

After all of that, the man told me that maybe the EBCM could be damaged and that's why he can't get any speed at all wheels. He also told me i could let him my car to check for all, keeping it weeks and charging me quite a lot of money ........... I don't really know what to think.

I'm not really sure this shop don't make his own game to convince me seing them and charging me a lot.

I'm even thinking about buying my self a Tech 2 (or maybe a tech 1 would be enough) for this and maybe later ABS trouble to avoid being an hostage to this shop.

About my problem : i have a front wheel bearing a little noisy when i drive. It don't shows any sign of wear when you rotate it but ... it is noisy. I don't know if a sensor broken can be that noise.

Can also the connection to the EBCM need to be clear ?

Thanks for answers

Pierre
Old 09-05-2006, 04:46 PM

He could be right about the EBCM. Since it is central to the many function problems you have it is likely. However, there are numerous problems that can bring up "ABS Inop" light. Best to find out why.

You are wise to suspect someone that says "it's not communicating, let me fix it." Sounds like a set up to me.

I now understand your problem in that your country is near Australia. Not many people will have a scanner there.

Perhaps it would be wise to seek out an inexpensive scanner that can read engine and chassis codes and provide real time sensor readings as well to invest in. Don't forget a set of manuals to help find the problem after you have the code.