Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Disassembling Brake Calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 12:13 AM

Disassembling Brake Calipers?

I have had my LS1 brake upgrade ready to go on my car for a while now but I am waiting for nice weather to come around again. Since they are not on the car yet I am considering having them powder coated so I'll never have to worry about paint chipping, no matter how well of a job I need. A local shop quoted me at $75/pair for sand blasting and red powder coating. I need to have the calipers disassembled for this but I am clueless on how to take them apart. Can anyone explain how this is done or tell me where I can find out how it's done. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:26 PM

Re: Disassembling Brake Calipers?

does ANYONE know?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:23 PM

u need to get anything off them that is not metal

to get the pistons out u need to put a towel or piece of wood on the opposite side the pistons are on so u dont damage them , take the bleeder screw out and blow compressed air into the bleeder hole , just watch ur fingers they come out fast and hard depending on teh pressure use

inside each cylinder bore there should be a rubber washer u need to remove those and keep em ,u can use a plastic knife so u dont have to worry about scratching teh bore, u can buy a rebuild kit minus teh pistons for the brakes to they are not to expensive

take anything off that u dont want powedercoated mostly anthing thats not metal and the bleeder screws so they dont get stuck on there

thats how i did my lt1 brakes, it should work the same

if ur doing teh rears its the same thing except u got the e-brake components on it that are a PITA to get off,

hope this helps u out even just a little
Old 02-14-2005, 10:23 PM

yes. it's rather easy. I'll take you through step by step. 1) taker caliper off and remove the inner brake pad (smaller pad) and leave the outside pad in place. the outside pad surface(bigger pad) should be facing the caliper piston. 2) put the caliper into a vice and use a gasket scraper or thin flat blad screw driver to pop out the dust seal that is evidently in the way. it can be frustrating because it's easy to to against the wrong thing, resulting in no progress. get under the inside of the dustseal and pry up. when it comes out, just throw it in the trash. it will more than likely be trashed. 3) there is a hole in the back of the piston where the brake line hooked to it. stick an air hose nozzle into that hole, or if it does'nt fit in, just try and put it around it with as good of seal as possible. you are going to be blowing the piston out of it's seat with the forced air. 4)the piston will blow out and hit that outer brake pad with force. now you see how the brake pad is left in place to keep the piston from smacking the bare caliper and possibly cracking it. do not get your hand or finger in the way. 150psi isn't nice to fingers. 5) finally, pull out the caliper the rest of the way by hand. then remove the inner seal that will probably be resting inside the piston cylinder. it is clearly visible. you can just pull that out, no screwdriver required. 6) remember that you will probably be ruining the seals durring removal, so you will want to buy caliper rebuild kits. they are pretty cheap. something like 5$ a piece for the front, and 10$ for the rear. its not a bad idea to hone the cylinder out with a smaller hone. you can pick those up at autozone or whatever.
when reinstalling, follow the same steps backwards, but PM me so i can give you a few more helpful hints. it's much easier than it sounds. not very time consuming either. but don't get frustrated with the dust seal. make sure u get right under it.