Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Dissapointed with QA1 rod ends and Spohn

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 04:38 PM

Dissapointed with QA1 rod ends and Spohn

Alright here is the deal. I ordered LCA's from sphon with rod ends a while back. I got them beginning of winter and put them on. I noticed when i put one on the rod end was not as loose as the others but still turned.....the swivel action. So now i take them out and the one rod end is locked up. I called Sphon looking to see if they could call QA1 and see about replacing them through QA1--since it's their product. Spohn just says they are not warrented. Seems like they could get a replacement from QA1 and say it's defective, because it obviously is. There is no way less than 100miles driving and no track time that end would have locked up. It seems they have to have some kindof replacement for defective parts. I guess they can just sell you junk and say no warranty. I am a little mad if you can't tell. It's just you spend 200bucks on some chromoly tubing and rod ends and 1 out of 4 rod ends doesn't even work Costs them $15(probably less) for it and they won't make it right. I guess that's what loses customers.....

Dissapointed in the rod end and the way Sphon handled it. Just thought i would share. I will look into seeing if QA1 will replace it.....i guess i'll have to talk to them since Sphon won't.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:54 AM

Re: Dissapointed with QA1 rod ends and Spohn

"All of our spherical rod ended components come equipped with QA1 extra high strength, chrome moly rod ends with TeflonŽ/KevlarŽ self lubricating race. When shopping around for spherical rod ended components, do not shop on price alone. The lower grade rod ends (which are much cheaper) will not hold their tolerances like the premium QA1 rod ends we utilize, this will cause substantial amounts of noise in a short time. We have had to increase our prices, but it is money very well spent in the long run, these rod ends will last a very long time. The rod ends supplied on our components are QA1 ENDURA 2000 Series (XMR12/XML12)."

straight from spohn's website, i would ask steve spohn again to see what he can do or like u said go right to QA1.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:48 AM

How stuck was it? Could you move the control arm with that end mounted? If so, and you can't spin the ball with your fingers, that's the best rod end you have. When you can spin them with your pinky is when they'll rattle.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Ditto... I'd be more concerned about the three that were "loose" rather than the one that seemed "tight". All four of the QA1's in my Spohn LCA's were very solid when they were new. What is the current condition of the three you felt were "loose"?

The QA1 ends do not carry a guarantee, whether they sell them to Spohn or direct to you.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:15 PM

Yea, loose in not a cool thing in Rod Ends...

I've got those same rod ends in my "custom" Billet aluminum LCAs and PHR and they were difficult to move by hand and took some serious force to get everything aligned.

If they are loose, and freely move by hand, then the rod end is shot.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:38 PM

The QA1 ends do not carry a guarantee, whether they sell them to Spohn or direct to you.
Figures, no one backs any of their work nowadays.....no one has the guts to.

I guess i didn't explain it very well, what i mean is that inside, (center part that is suppose to swivel) is locked up. It's not the end comming out of the chromoly its the ball joint inside, that is suppose to be lubricated and teflon coated. That is suppose to swivel for turns, and is locked up. I put the bolt in it and tried to use the extra leverage and is still wouldn't budge. I'll call spohn again....i had my dad call the first time. I might call QA1 and ask them, because if they are marketing these as high performance then then should last more than 100miles on nothing more than street driving.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:41 PM

If they are loose, and freely move by hand, then the rod end is shot.
Are you kidding me?? They all turned easily by hand when i pulled them out of the box. Why are they lubricated inside then? That means every rod end i have is junk? and i never even drove the car......wow is Spohn doesn't refund my money i am going to be upset. They were loose when i got them....i figured they should turn easily(the inside part that is teflon coated). I can turn the center of the rod on my car when they are installed--is that bad

Last edited by "White Knight"; 02-08-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:47 PM

If that's true then i just paid $200 for some damn chromoly tubing. each end is $30. And since they won't "garentee" anything it's $120 to replace them. If these turn out to be bad and isn't made right, then Steve just lost a customer and a lot of refurals.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:19 PM

*shrugs* I don't know what to tell ya. When I got my QA1s, I had to basically line it up using bolts for leverage; al though I would turn them by hand in small sparatic moves, but not freely turning; if a bolt isn't moving it, then yes, there is a serious problem.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:53 PM

I wish i had a set to test and see how they are suppose to be. Thanks for the help though 97FormulaWS-6.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Something doesn't "add up" here...

You've made two different statements.... in one place you indicate you put them on in the beginning of winter and have 100 miles on the car, now you are saying "i never even drove the car"..... which is it?

Is it just possible you actually bought these last summer?

If you felt that one rod end was messed up when you took them out of the box, why did you install them?

What suddenly caused you to remove them from the car and look for a rod end that is locked up, when you haven't driven the car?
Old 02-09-2005, 06:06 PM

Is it the "ball" or the threaded end that was loose? Having a hard time understanding exactly what is wrong.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:09 PM

You are correct those are two different statements, and can't both be true....What i mean by "not driving" it is super low miles.....100 miles. I got them for my birthday in Nov and put the car up near the end of the month...since it snows here early in MI. So no i did not drive them all summer. I have no reason to lie.....if they were used hard or even for a while i wouldn't mind.

The reason they were removed, was during this winter i pulled the rear end to paint it, since i had installed the brackets a month before in Oct (since you want dates and think i am lying....you want the recipts??) I did this so the brackets wouldn't rust and need something to do

If you felt that one rod end was messed up when you took them out of the box, why did you install them?
I have never used rod ends before,therefore i had no way to know how they were suppose to be....now that the one, that was sticking is locked up, I am ASSUMING it was defective, Or are they suppose to lock up after 100miles?

I know where you are comming from Injuneer since you know him personally.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:10 PM

the ***** inside the end move freely on 3 and the ball on the one is locked up. They are very securely attached to the Chromoly
Old 02-09-2005, 06:42 PM

Just checking.
Havn't heard to many bad things about his products but it sure would look good if he stood behind it if it is bad.

Quick Reply: Dissapointed with QA1 rod ends and Spohn