Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Dissapointed with QA1 rod ends and Spohn

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 07:14 PM

Re: Dissapointed with QA1 rod ends and Spohn

I will take it that you didn't use any type of seals on the rod ends; such as the Seals-it ones?

Dirt and debris is instant death to rod ends; If Nov in Mich is anything like Buffalo, then the salt was flying as well as the dirt. That will do both things you described; lock up, and wear out (loosen) brand new joints VERY quickly. I'm got about 3K on my QA1s with Seals-it seals and they are just like brand new, solid as a rock and stiff to move, although not as stiff as new, still stiff.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:20 PM

It hadn't snowed here yet when i drove it (never seen snow-always put away before it snows and they salt the roads), so there was no salt on the roads. This car is only a weekend car. I go to college during the week, and the Camaro is at my parents house....which means it sits inside a graged 5 out of 7 days a week, usually 6 out of 7. So the car was driven probably 8 times before i put it away. I live on a paved road and usually just hit the freeways and in town(always paved roads).

I have the seal-it seals and milled down the spacers to fit (just recently when i was putting the rear end back in), when i came accross this one that is locked up. So no, i did not use the seals in that short time.

The think is are they suppose to be tight or loose? I am getting different opinions from everyone? Are the ***** suppose to rotate easily? The thing is though, they moved very freely when i got them....the ***** that is....i called them because at first they weren't chromoly and they said yes they were...if i had know how the end should have been i would have called then.

There was something else that i forgot to mention, after i first installed them on the first turn and acceleration--there was a loud pop and it made the car jump and almost go off the road. I just assumed something in the suspension was bound up, and just released....maybe it was the end going out. It drove fine afterwards, never made any noise so i never checked them.

O well nothing will be done about it anyway......no one stands behind anything anymore. All i know is when i got them i could move the ball ends easily, and one was tougher and now one won't move. Maybe it was bad, maybe i ruined it in those few miles on paved roads. All I know is if it was my business, i would just send someone the $10-$15 part and be done with it. Or at least sell it to them at cost. It's just smart business....why lose the money the customer that was going to spend in other componets which i had intended to purchase from them over a $15 dollar part? And lose potential customers when he tells others of the problems? Seems like that would cost more than $15.

You guys should bring your car to my shop someday..you might see me in a magazine someday lol..then you will see customer satisfaction....for the cars i work on right now they mostly family and locals, if it doesn't fix it--labors free....if it breaks in a month replace it for free---some of those are on U.S. Mail carriers cars....those see some rough miles too (200+miles per day on backroads with 400 stops) People were replacing brake pads every month, now they can go 4+ months with 400 stops (40mph-0mph) a day. I guess some people when you go out the door they don't stand behind their product and others....stand behind it fully.

Well i'm done complaining. And don't think I am just bad mouthing Spohn, because they have nice set-ups and actually this is a Qa1 product, but i think it could have been taken care of differently, and i just wanted to complain and vent a little, because it's frustrating to spend that money and have the end go out. If i had a million dollars, it probably wouldn't bother me as much...lol. Thanks for letting me vent guys.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by White Knight
I know where you are comming from Injuneer since you know him personally.
I make no secret of knowing Steve Spohn. Thanks for casting aspersions my integrity.

I never called you a liar, but in fact, I did notice two different statements, which you acknowledged were inconsistent.

Last edited by Injuneer; 02-10-2005 at 12:46 PM.