Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Do I need a new front shock top mount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Do I need a new front shock top mount?

Due to all the other issues I'm dealing with in my front end rebuild, I decided to farm out my shocks to Midas (brought them the old units with the spring still mounted on the shocks to have them swap shocks). Just got a call from them today..they are saying I'll need new top mounts because they'll need to torch the top shock nut off, due to the rust, and that this would destroy the rubber in the mounts. I was happy when I got the shocks off the car because the mounts were in such good shape for their age. Are they taking the lazy/easy way out with this? Is there another way they can release that nut without destroying my mounts? Wouldn't just cutting right through the shock shaft itself allow everything to be disassembled? Just finding it hard to believe that they have to destroy a perfectly good part to do this.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 PM

Re: Do I need a new front shock top mount?

They can cut it, instead of torching it.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
They can cut it, instead of torching it.
Thanks Rob. Yeah that's what I thought too...just called him back not too long ago suggesting they just cut it and he says that there is no place to get a sawzall in to cut it...and that they could destroy other parts doing so. I may need to find another place willing to give it a try or just do it myself.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:24 AM
Administrator

After 16 years, new upper mounts, plus the upper and lower inserts, would make sense. The rubber really rots.