Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

do i really need an airbag for the rear ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 11:35 AM

do i really need an airbag for the rear ?

i have a complete suspension setup but do i need an airbag for the rear spring? i have the elibach drag springs. the bag is for the pass. side correct?
Old 05-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Re: do i really need an airbag for the rear ?

With enough torque, the reaction to the driveshaft load forces the passenger rear fender down. That in turn pulls the drivers front fender up.... the whole chassis it twisting, and the car doesn't want to go straight off the line. The airbag in the passenger rear spring helps control that. A "race style" rear sway bar like the one Spohn Performance makes would be an alternative to the air bag.

Seems like you've had good results with your current suspension, based on the 60-ft in your signature. So whether you need the air bag is open to debate.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:18 PM
IHI

A drag racing style sway bar is light years ahead performance wise than what the air bags have to offer, having been there done that I cant imagine how I got by before instaling the wolfe craft anti roll bar...went from still getting chasis twist with 50psi of air in the bag to leaving like a stocker straight and level after anti roll bar.

you'll be better off with a severe duty rear anti roll bar, but the bags are better than nothing at all.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:09 PM
IHI

IMO it's a huge step in teh right direction for a street strip car since the anti roll bar I have gives a very harsh ride. that spohn unit is waay better than a factory unit since obviously it will be alot stiffer to prevent body roll, and should also prove to be just as good as air bags, if not better.

I dont think you'll go wrong if you purchase that unit.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:14 PM

Hows the street manners?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:32 PM
IHI

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Hows the street manners?
Without butting in or stepping out of place, I guess who is the ? to and which method of preventing body roll are you wanting to know about?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:36 PM

I was reffering to the drag racing style sway bar being mentioned above.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:48 PM
IHI

The way they come where the links hook to the care they are prone to breaking the rods and/or rod ends since all the weight of the car is literally focused on 2 small points per say. They do not recommend them for street driving for this reason, and some guys unhook one side to get by this problem when street driving...I dont have that much ambetion

With the bags the car still had "give" in the suspension even under 50psi load, now with the drag anti roll bar it's almost like having a solid suspension...not joking a bit. The ride is very very stiff on the street, but on the race track there is no argument it works as designed