Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Does anyone else have problems braking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 02:44 AM

Does anyone else have problems braking?

I don't know if it's just my car but my braking sucks.. i just got new power slot rotors and power stop pads all the way around, the fronts were installed and the rears will be later but right now, the brakes blow. Any ideas ?? When i slame the brakes on the pedal just goes straight to the bottom and then it stops however fast it can i guess? i don't even think the abs kicks in?
Old 12-24-2004, 05:05 AM

Re: Does anyone else have problems braking?

Have you tried bleeding the system? You may also check the rubber hoses that connect the calipers to the steel lines, as they get old and spongy it will affect performance.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:51 AM

Your not alone, my brakes suck as well. When I first got my car, the brakes worked awesome. I could get the ABS to kick in any time I wanted with not too much pedal pressure. Then one day they just changed. I had not done any type of work on them, they just felt different. There seemed to be a "hard" spot about half way down on my pedal travel. If I really "man up" I can get the ABS to kick in, but I pratically have to stand on the pedal. Since then I have put C4 front (2-piston PBR calipers and 13" rotors) brakes on. My brakes still don't work properly, and I have bleed probably a half gallon of brake fluid through the system with no improvement. It almost feels like I am not getting and brake "boost" from my booster after a few inches of pedal travel. Not sure if a booster can fail that way, but I think that is the next thing I am going to try. Also, my buddy had a 97 Trans Am and his car had the same "hard spot" in the pedal travel. I just wonder if that type of failure is common with our boosters, but since the brakes still work, most people don't seems to notice.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:15 AM

my brakes also sucked, so i installed powerslot rotors and KVR pads........brakes got better, but still dont feel like they did when i first got the car.

i havent bled the system yet, but it sounds like you already tried that.

has anyone fixed this?
let us know if the brake booster takes care of it.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:23 AM

try stainless flex hoses
rubber ones might be swelling causing a soft pedal
Old 12-24-2004, 11:15 AM

How old are your calipers?
Old 12-24-2004, 02:14 PM

who the hell wants to stop anyways???????
mine suck too, I guess I just got used to it. The only thing I didn't do was the booster
Old 12-24-2004, 04:04 PM

I thought i was alone on this, sounds like a lot of you guys have the same problem, we should figure this out. It's not a big deal for normal driving but it freaks you out when you go to slam the brakes on and there just not there. I am going to try earls Stainless steel brake lines and see if those work any better, but as of right now, if anyone else on here has sloved the problem besides switching to differen't brakes post it here.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:07 PM

My brakes are terrible too. I got new pads. I plan to flush it in the next week. I can lock my wheels up and abs doesnt work.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
My brakes are terrible too. I got new pads. I plan to flush it in the next week. I can lock my wheels up and abs doesnt work.
i dion't even think i can get mine to lock up
Old 12-24-2004, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 96SLPSS
i dion't even think i can get mine to lock up
Thats good that you can't lock your up. It means abs is working. If you lock your brakes up, you keep moving and your brakes become ineffective especially in slippery roads.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:48 PM

If your brake pedal gets a "hard spot" (I think it is more chunky ) then it most likely your brake booster. The beater i have had two boosters go, each time they had a "hard spot." It varied with engine speed because of vacuum. Make sure you get a GM replacement if that is your cause.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by ChickenScreamer94
If your brake pedal gets a "hard spot" (I think it is more chunky ) then it most likely your brake booster. The beater i have had two boosters go, each time they had a "hard spot." It varied with engine speed because of vacuum. Make sure you get a GM replacement if that is your cause.
ya it has a super hard spot? how much is a new booster? and why does it just "go"
Old 12-25-2004, 01:29 AM

Mine's always had bad brakes, even after I put on new pads all around. Then I had my car dyno'ed and found out the rear brakes didn't work. Who know's how long I drove w/o rear brakes? And as of two days ago my ABS INOP light is always on. Hopefully flushing the system next week will fix this.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:55 AM

for all of yall ive had brake problems several times and the abs/inop light came on a few times and found it out to be a battery related problem??? i know all yall are like wtf but it was the alternator causing a bad connection to charge the battery from the wire on the back of the alternator...the check gauges light came on when i puncked the gas ffor about 1/2 second also(hard to see)anyways fixed this i fixed the mis fire the bad gas mileage the "bogging" out and the abs/inop and brake problems...ive ahd differant incodences that were just brakes but when car started runnin crappy looked into this
mayb this could be some of you guys problems or burnt wires or bad connections to a brake light or brake booster or soemthin idk...jus an idea to check out
Daniel

Quick Reply: Does anyone else have problems braking?