Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Does anyone else have problems braking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 02:56 AM

Re: Does anyone else have problems braking?

What do you guys mean when you say a hard spot?
I'm wondering if my brakes are not up to par now.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:49 AM

my brakes suck, moving to stainless steel brake lines, slotted and cross-drilled rotors, and ceramic brake pads helped but non the less the braking is still pretty pitiful, but i guess its also a heavy car to stop...
Old 12-25-2004, 10:30 AM

By "hard spot" I mean it feels like you are bottoming out the master cylinder. But actually the pedal is still a few inches from the floor. When I bleed the brakes, the pedal goes smoothly all the way to the floor, but when using the brakes, about half way down the pedal gets "hard."
Old 12-25-2004, 05:01 PM

Hey 96WS Im in the same boat... But my rear brakes work hmmm sometimes, and sometimes they dont, but Ive had that hard spot about 1/2 -1/4 down.. No clue why. I replaced all the pads all new rotors... Im clueless... Im going to try upgrading to the ls1 style brakes in the front and rear... maybe ill be able to stop normally than...
Old 12-26-2004, 12:13 AM

96SLPSS, my brake booster went out because i accidently added powersteering fluid to the brake fluid reservior. A week later my brakes were seized in the "braking" positon. THe replacement booster wasn't GM, and I have no idea why it didn't work right. A GM booster worked right.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:56 AM

Yup, Mine Suck Too! They Just Kind Of Glide To A Stop At High Speeds. Even When Your At Idle Just Pulling Into The Garage The Pedal Is Kind Of Hard And It Might Creep If You Dont Press Down Hard! I Tried Cross Drilled Rotors W/ Various Types Of Pads And No Change. I Ordered A Baer Upgrade Kit For The Front W/ Stainless Lines But Have Not Put On Yet. Ive Heard That Bleeding The System Along With All Stainless Lines Makes It Much Better, But I Dont Know If It Will Ever Stop Like The Newer Ones! Heck, My 87 Grand National Stops Beter With Stock Brakes And Rear Drums!!!!!!ill Let U Guys Know The Outcome Once Ive Done It, But For Now, If Anyone Has Cured This Problem, Let Us All Know!!
Old 12-26-2004, 01:24 PM

Actually I had this problem too. Before, I would slam on the brakes and even from a slow speed, it wouldn't even attempt to screech the tires, and it wasn't just the abs kicking in. But while I installed the headers I also redid the brakes. New Poweslot rotors all around, ceramic pads up front and back, all Earls (I think?) stainless brake hoses, and new rear calipers in the back. Plus a complete fluid flush and dot 5 replacement. The braided hoses and the flush probably made the biggest difference but the car is great now. Stops almost or about as good as a LS1, and I had one so I remember how great those brakes were. Best thing is to just get rid of all the old brake fluid. I put the braided hoses on my lifted truck too last year and it made a world of difference, and that was only on the front.