Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Doing away with T/A?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 11:13 AM
CDE

Doing away with T/A?

I am going to put in a TH400 in a 97 Formula with an LT-1, Since nobody seem to make a damn xmember to an lt-1 car with the Th400, I will have to use a body mounted Torque Arm. I will buy a spohn one since they have compensation for long tubes/y-pipe set ups. But I have heard of people doing away with the torque arms and going to a new fabbed set up. Has anybody heard of this. Might could save some weight as those aftermarket T/A are pretty darn heavy! Just thought Id ask.

Clint
Old 06-28-2004, 03:50 PM

I think I've seen a xmember on thunder for a TH400. Also, my BMR TA clears my exhaust.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Administrator

There are people who have used a system that is more like lift bars.... two short arms in place of the long TA. I'll see if I can find who makes it. You could do a 4-link conversion.... but before you do that, you need to determine how you are going to race your car... most of the events I've been involved with have rules that require what is essentially a "stock-style" torque arm. Fact is, people are pulling 1.2X 60-fts with a completely "stock style" suspension - beefed up, yes, but stock style components in stock locations, except for the front end of the TA.

The tranny mount for a TH-400 is no big deal, mine sits on the original M6 cross-member. And moving the TA off the tailshaft of the tranny is simply common sense..... the last thing you need on a high HP car is a TA trying to rip the tailshaft of the tranny off the mount.

I'm not sure why you feel the TH-400 is such a big issue. Madman will sell you the corss-member. Someone makes an adapter to attach the stock type TA..... its all out there... you just need to find it if that's what you want.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:47 PM
CDE

Well it all came about when I emailed BMR and Madman racing asking about getting a crossmemeber for my set up, both replyed that they do not make one for a TH400 into a lt1 fbody, only a ls1 fbody. Now I would think it would have nothing to do with the motor, just the body of the car and transmission type going in. I have to call Madman racing up any way to order the dipstick, I will just ask him then. I would love to get one from him and save myself the hassle of having to sell my TA and order a new one.