Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Double adjustable LCA, Panhad rod Q?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 02:52 PM

Double adjustable LCA, Panhad rod Q?

I just installed double adjustable lower control arms and panhard rod. The problem I got is that they rattle now when I hit bump. I figured that they just need to be tightened but I really have no idea of how tight to tighten them. Has anybody on hee ever been through this? I need a pointer or two. I hate that ratteling. Any feed back would be appreciated
Old 02-01-2005, 05:13 PM

Re: Double adjustable LCA, Panhad rod Q?

rattle?

what ends are on them? Rod ends or Poly Bushings?

The Rod ends do make some noice when going over bumps; one of the trade-offs of having a race-car suspension on a street driven car.

Are they "rattleing" at the threads, like the nut is loose, or in the joint itself.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:41 AM

I think its the ends mayb. when I twist the bar 2 complete turns to make the bar expand and it got worse so I will reverse the procedure to see if it tightens up any. They have joints on the ends not poly bushings. FYI.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:56 AM

You are tightening the jam nuts correct? If not, then there's your largest issue.

The nuts don't have to be that tight, I just use a pair of wrenches and arm-torque it; mainly because mine are aluminum and I don't want to strip the threads. Mine have never backed off with that method.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:59 PM

I am not sure where they are suppose to be set at. They are custom bars and I think they are also aluminium. I left them in stock position when I sit the car down an dit rattled a little. When twisting the bar, you can get them too tight in either direction. Its hard to tell which direction to turn them toget what Im looking for(which is no rattling) but I am going to try to avoid twisting one tight one way and the other bar too tight in the other direction. I think that will throw my *** end out off square. If I cant get it figured out soon I will have to run it down to the local speed shop and god knows what they willl charge for the service
Old 02-03-2005, 08:09 PM

Please. Buy some of these and install them like this. . Measure the rod end shanks before you order--they're most likely 3/4".
Old 02-04-2005, 10:37 AM

Try tightening the bolt to where the LCA's mount to the frame. Mine rattle there (because I have SFC's) and I have the bolts tightened to 140 ft lbs and they still rattle. Try about 100 ft lbs. That should fix your problem if there is nothing wrong with the adjustable part of the LCA.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by aaron_depue
I just installed double adjustable lower control arms and panhard rod. The problem I got is that they rattle now when I hit bump. I figured that they just need to be tightened but I really have no idea of how tight to tighten them. Has anybody on hee ever been through this? I need a pointer or two. I hate that ratteling. Any feed back would be appreciated
What brand control arms? Cheap rod ends will rattle some and there isnt anything you can do about that. Also I have seen some double adjustable control arms (Badz's) that the aluminum step bushings are also too big and cause movement of the control arms bolts = noise.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:51 PM

not sure if i had the same problems as you but, FWIW. when i did my LCA's, i tightened everything with the car on jackstands. after that i took it for a spin and every lil bump it would rattle, and feel like something was not tightend all the way. called someone and they told me NOT to jack the car up again, but to just loosen the bolts with the car how it normally sits, and retighten! that fixed my problem.
hope that helps