Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Drilled and Slotted

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 09:29 PM

Drilled and Slotted

I really like the way drilled and slotted rotors look behind the rim, but i heard that they are actually worse than normal rotors when it come to stopping. I heard that they crack very easily, and i dont wanna risk not being able to stop, just to have good looking rotors. Is this true? Also do you need special pads with drilled and slotted rotors? Thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Re: Drilled and Slotted

Go to the ws6.com website, and look at the pictures of his Baer cross-drilled rotors, cracked after 5K miles of use. He was able to extend the life to 18K miles with cryogenic treatment.

http://www.ws6.com/cryo.htm

I have the same rotors in the back, only, and no signs of problems after 20K miles, but the back brakes don't see the heat stress that the front brakes get.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:22 AM

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=135999

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...threadid=80374

http://69.56.235.42/forums/showthread.php?t=534348
Old 10-27-2004, 11:08 AM

Boy, you tweaked someone's buttons there Mitch

I think one of the main gaps between the believers and the non-believers is whether they track their cars (you know this, I'm just stating it here for others). If you don't track your car, drilled rotors are probably going to be just fine, and will stop just as well because it's really the tire's friction on the road that's the limit. So folks that don't track their cars never have brake fade issues from repeated hard stops, or stress rotors enough to worry much about cracking, etc. As a result, they're completely happy with their choice (especially since they may have paid some good $$ for it) and will promote it as a significant improvement because of it.

Dave
Old 10-27-2004, 12:08 PM

Everyone has a calling ...

No truer words were ever spoken, Dave.

What concerne me, though, are those who BELIEVE there is a difference, based on some internet thread and do take their car to the track.

My fear is that they will be on the same track as me ...
Old 10-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Administrator

If you look at the text accompanying the photos on the ws6.com article, he got the cracks after only 4,000 miles of "street" driving. I know Keith has run the Silver State Classic at 150mph, and figured that might explain the cracks, but he says not. What really puzzles me is why he then decided to drop additional $$$$ into cryo treating of another set of cross-drilled rotors, and apparently thinks its a good idea that they now last 19,000 miles and don't crack quite as bad. Makes no sense at all.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:58 AM

All I have read and heard is that the drilled are a bad way to go.. Slotted are supposed to be great.. but not drilled.. Everyone I have talked to has had and says the the drill holes crack.. Haven't heard anything about slotted, other than good..
Old 10-28-2004, 12:04 PM

the largest gain on a brake upgrade is size... size does matter. if your going up to a 13" rotor then it will make a huge stopping diffrence. now if your just changing rotor for the slotted cross drill look than great they do look super behind a wheel.

with new slots and drilled rotors you have to season them and bed the pads that helps to temper the rotors and mate the pads that could be where some of the problmes happen improper heat cycling the rotor.

as for drilled and slot doing anything for the street car...nope just for looks. if you race the car then you will love the performance the slots are for off gassing the pads and the drilled holes are for cooling. on the street you don;t need either but they do look great.

i have 13" fronts and 12" rears from baer.

jeff
Old 10-28-2004, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffw
if you race the car then you will love the performance the slots are for off gassing the pads and the drilled holes are for cooling.
Oh god...

Jeff, you may want to read up on Baer's web site (http://www.baer.com/Support/FAQ.aspx#1 ) since you have their products, they do say that the slots and holes are not for racing...

Fred, yep I don't quite understand Keith's position out there on his site, but it's a pretty tough leap to use one or two sets of rotors as a scientific measure. No slam to Keith, his site does a great job of showing real data, but all said and done we'd probably need this exercise repeated a couple dozen times before we really knew the value of cryo to those rotors.

Dave
Old 10-28-2004, 05:33 PM

talking about slot drilled rotors in general, since i don;t race my car i could car less i got the set up that i wanted for the street and the looks behind the boyd's.

in general slot and drilled are a race set up, my specfic brakes are not for race as that is not my application.

Jeff
Old 10-28-2004, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffw
talking about slot drilled rotors in general, since i don;t race my car i could car less i got the set up that i wanted for the street and the looks behind the boyd's.

in general slot and drilled are a race set up, my specfic brakes are not for race as that is not my application.

Jeff
Please show me one race car that uses drilled and slotted rotors.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:08 PM

You fellas are wasting your time ... let them buy rotors with holes and grooves ... hell, let them pay EXTRA for them ...

went to the moon in '69 ... gasoline is high because of demand ... neither Bush nor Kerry will raise your taxes ... slotted/drilled rotors increase braking performance
Old 10-29-2004, 02:18 AM

I'm laughing so hard my sides are hurting on this thread.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:16 PM

No they won,t be good on a race car, but if you want something that looks good and will work on the street they will be fine.
I don,t even have brand name slotted and crossdrilled rotors.....mine are Aimco extreme from autozone. They have over 15k on them with no cracks or warping, I do not autox and I don,t beat on them so thats why they have lasted.
If your wanting them for looks and decent performance they will be fine.
Just don,t go abusing them.
I have to admit they do look cool behind my Pro Stars....
Old 10-31-2004, 04:43 PM

FWIW,Strange drag brakes,as well as Wilwood and the others,have drilled rotors,and they tend to be used on race cars.

Im looking for new rotors myself,but havent decided on what to get.

Quick Reply: Drilled and Slotted