Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Drilled/Slotted Rotors for street

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:57 AM

Re: Drilled/Slotted Rotors for street

Even though most people here agree that the best rotor is a plain one, I will still stick with my X-drilled and slotted ones. Even if it is purely cosmetical, they look sweet as hell!
Old 04-05-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911
Even though most people here agree that the best rotor is a plain one, I will still stick with my X-drilled and slotted ones. Even if it is purely cosmetical, they look sweet as hell!
Thats perfectly fine.

The problem I have is when people attribute better braking solely to x-drilled rotors when they have also changed pads and have no real comparison to base it on or spew the propaganda about x-drilled running cooler and venting etc.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:40 PM

If the slotted rotors don't do anyting, how come NASCAR uses them on thier cars? Not trying to sound like an a$$, I'm asking seriously. I need to do brakes before the end of the month and was looking at Power Slots.. Am I just waisting my money?

Craig
Old 04-07-2006, 07:46 PM

Nascar brakes are what?

Old 04-07-2006, 08:01 PM

Prebedding a NASCAR rotor - a non cross drilled, non slotted NASCAR rotor.

Old 04-08-2006, 06:35 AM

And here's one of a CTS-V with slotted rotors at the 12 hours of Sebring (which requires a ton more brakes than anything Nascar):

Read and Learn.

That said, drilled rotors are still a poor choice for the street as the above paper shows. And even with the gains on the track their testing shows, I'd still recommend slotted or plain over drilled for most applications for track use.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:08 AM

Now THAT i'd like to know more about. That's the first time that i've seen a top tier team run slotted rotors in recent memory.

I'd like to read that paper, too. Any chance of being able to read that somewhere that doesn't charge me $12 for it?
Old 04-11-2006, 02:41 AM

Slotting in various flavours is quite common in roadracing. Don't be cheap, spend the $12 bucks. If the subject interests you it's well worth it. All those instrumented tests aren't cheap. The SAE library is a valuable resource.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:51 PM

I bought the paper. Very interesting. According to the paper there are pros and cons to cross drilling and that makes them much more than just "driveway jewelry".
Old 04-14-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by joe-96z1le
I bought the paper. Very interesting. According to the paper there are pros and cons to cross drilling and that makes them much more than just "driveway jewelry".
Such as....
Old 04-14-2006, 09:38 PM

For 99.99% of cars out there they ARE driveway jewelry. Especially when people get the cheap rotors off Ebay that are light Chinese castings that Bobs Machine and Bait Shop could have crossdrilled.

More rotor mass, better pads, fresh fluid, and GOOD TIRES!!!! will do much more for you at our performance level. If you're at a higher performance level you'll be looking for a larger brake set up (or have a track only set of rotors, pads, tires and spend more than $10 for a bottle of brake fluid that you'll change out more frequently than we do our oil) instead of worrying about which drilled and/or slotted rotors are better.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:08 AM

Yeah, but for a guy who may actually care about what is the best possible brake setup for hardcore use, it is good to know.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:10 PM

IMO I see no problem with using X-drilled rotors. When I worked at O'Reillys the good Wagner rotors ran like $70-$225 (depending on the vehicle). If you buy some X-Drilled rotors from a good seller on ebay the prices will run about the same.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:29 PM

ive read a couple articles on cross drilled and slotted rotors... from most of what ive read the main purpose of the slotts/ holes is to vent the gas build up... most poelpe do not have this problem on the street tho... road racing and extreme situations make this happen... and about the weakness of the x-drilled rotors... they can become weak under extreme/ long uses but then u ask y porsches and other hipo cars use them, there rotors have the holes actually cast into them which makes them stronger... i might try to find some of the articles and scan them and post them... and when ever ive been around race go-karts or road race cars at june sprints ive seen ALOT of them slotted
Old 05-29-2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by niceroc
ive read a couple articles on cross drilled and slotted rotors... from most of what ive read the main purpose of the slotts/ holes is to vent the gas build up... most poelpe do not have this problem on the street tho... road racing and extreme situations make this happen... and about the weakness of the x-drilled rotors... they can become weak under extreme/ long uses but then u ask y porsches and other hipo cars use them, there rotors have the holes actually cast into them which makes them stronger... i might try to find some of the articles and scan them and post them... and when ever ive been around race go-karts or road race cars at june sprints ive seen ALOT of them slotted
Did you not read any of what we talked about? Modern brakes do not outgas to any serious degree, even in racing conditions. X-Drilled rotors are worthless besides cosmetic, although the jury still seems to be out for slotted.

Quick Reply: Drilled/Slotted Rotors for street