Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

E brake light !?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 12:05 AM

E brake light !?!?!?

ok, sometimes the display "BRAKE" shows up on my gauge cluster, and sometimes it does not. what may cause this, and how do i fix this?
Old 04-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Re: E brake light !?!?!?

The "BRAKE" light serves two purposes.... 1st is obviously to tell you the e-brake is on. 2nd purpose is to tell you there is a pressure difference problem between the front and rear braking circuits.... low brake fluid, air in a line, leaking lines/calipers, internal leaks in master cylinder, etc.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:36 AM

so that means what? i need it looked at? someone just told me to take off the center console and see if any sensors are lose or anything... but idk...?
Old 04-08-2005, 01:57 AM

pull the console first the metal conector might be rusty where the e brake makes contact with it. I was unawaire that the brake light did what you say Injuneer. Maybe on other cars but on the LT1 I dont see any sensors on the master to tell fluid level. Or any sensors to tell if pressure diff exists. If there is I would expect that to be abs light related
Old 04-08-2005, 10:06 AM

the sensor is in the lines, sometimes integrated into the proportioning valve and when pressure on one side exceeds pressure on the other side it basically used the pressure to push a switch that cuts off fluid to the side that is loosing pressure and sends a signal to the little bulb that tells you there is a brake problem

on our rear wheel drive cars, one side of the switch is pressure for the front brakes and the other side of the switch is pressure for the rear brakes

i would think that if you car stops fine, (or so you think), then you probably lost pressure in the rear brake lines

thats if that is the problem

which means maybe a wheel cylinder is bad or brake lines are rotted (unless u have the disc brake rear end, then the caliper may be bad)

if the brake pressure switch is not triggering the light then it could easily be a grounded ebrake switch, so like previously stated, pull up the console (which is very very easy just dont miss any screws) and take a look at the corrosion on the switch and corrosion on the wires from the switch

of course, make things easy on yourself and check the ebrake switch first
Old 04-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sleeperz28
..... I was unawaire that the brake light did what you say Injuneer. Maybe on other cars but on the LT1 I dont see any sensors on the master to tell fluid level. Or any sensors to tell if pressure diff exists. If there is I would expect that to be abs light related
I didn't say that it detected low fluid in the master cylinder.... I said that low fluid in the master cylinder is one of the reasons you might have differntial pressures in the braking circuits, causing the light to come on.

Look at the ABS unit. On the right side of it (looking from passenger seat), there is a distribution block that the lines from the master cylinder connect to. There is a switch on top of the block, between the lines.

The function of the "BRAKE" light, and what it means is clearly explained in the Owner's Manual. IT is intended to identify a problem with one of the braking system. And, I can confirm that its there, since the "BRAKE" warning light comes on when I activate my line lock.....
Old 04-08-2005, 06:44 PM

could that be the reason my brakes still squeek? i got new brake pads and rotors turned on the fronts, and they said the back brakes were fine... so could that also be the reason for the squeeking?
Old 04-09-2005, 12:26 AM
Administrator

I doubt that the squeaking would be related to any problem that would turn on the light.