Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

E-Brake light stays on...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 01:01 AM

E-Brake light stays on...

Anyone know how I can turn this damn light off. The brakes arent dragging and the handle is down all the way, but the dash light warning stays on all the damn time.

Also, on a side note, I dont think its possible, but is there anyway to also kill the ABS Inop light on the dash? Ive pulled all the ABS crap, and I would really like the light to go away!

Any help is really appreciated!
Old 04-13-2006, 04:28 AM

Re: E-Brake light stays on...

Originally Posted by SVThuh
Anyone know how I can turn this damn light off. The brakes arent dragging and the handle is down all the way, but the dash light warning stays on all the damn time.

Also, on a side note, I dont think its possible, but is there anyway to also kill the ABS Inop light on the dash? Ive pulled all the ABS crap, and I would really like the light to go away!

Any help is really appreciated!
You'll have to pull part of the dash out to either put a piece of electrical tape around the bulb or pull it out. The e-brake is probably due to a maladjusted or faulty trigger that is located inside the console next to the e-brake handle.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:36 AM

If the brake fluid is low the light will come on too.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Administrator

The "BRAKE" light has two purposes. The obvious one is for the handle on the e-brake. Make sure the switch is working. Second purpose is to warn you of uneven pressure in the independant front and rear braking circuits. There's a switch in the distribution block on the side of the ABS unit that will activate if there is significantly less pressure in the front or rear circuit. Could be low fluid (there is no level switch on the reservoir), a leak in one of the brake components, or sometimes the switch gets stuck when you've been working on the brakes and bleed them. In that case, a hard stop should release the switch.

I'll move this thread to "Suspension, Chassis and Brakes", since it doesn't belong on LT1/LT4 Engine Tech.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:22 AM

Now would I be able to kill this light by merely unplugging the sensor? I am actually thinking about just pulling the whole ABS unit anyways, considering it is not functional at all right now anyways.

Thats a good 15-20lbs that I could pull from the nose of the car..

BTW.. Thanks Injuneer.. You have come through with great info as always!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:33 AM

With the ABS completely removed I would think it would illuminate the lamp anyway. Put a picture of your girl over the brake light. LOL