Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Eiback sport springs clear my 255/40/17 on front?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 05:29 PM

Question Eiback sport springs clear my 255/40/17 on front?!

Hey guys, I have 315/35/17's on the rear and they rub already with 250lb passengers in the back , so I cant lower than any, but I wanted to get the front end down a little bit. I was wondering if the Eiback sport springs (lower the car 2") will clear the wheels/tires up front in ALL situations with the 255/40/17's I have on it. Is it safe to run a different spring rate in the front than in the rear anyway (as far as lowering the front and keeping the rear stock?) Also will this affect the life of my shocks in the front by having the lowering springs on the front? Thanks--
Old 07-03-2005, 05:40 PM

Thumbs up Re: Eiback sport springs clear my 255/40/17 on front?!

In my experience Fronts clear no problem....i have Eibach Sportlines on all 4 corners right now, and i'm running a 275/40 series tire on 17x9.5in rims on all 4 corners. I also have my shocks up front set on a relatively soft setting, for drift purposes. Anyhow, my fronts don't rub if i'm at bump mid drift and the suspension is loaded, so as long as your wheels are properly offset, you should have no problem.

Edit: woops, i just noticed your shock question...umm if you have stock shocks, I'm not positive. Even with my shocks on their softest setting, the valving is still prolly better than stock, but I'm still gonna say it'd work. I'm pretty sure i've bottomed out my front supension during turn in and the 275's didn't rub, i say go for it. And if you do have stock shocks, they won't keep up with the Eibachs worth a damn, so be ready for a bouncy ride, as far as life being shortened, i say yes it will, but you prolly won't notice it. Just get the springs and plan on doing shocks in the near future, and just upgrade when you do. You can pretty much do anything, and what decides how well it works, or how happy you'll be with it, merely depends on your application. You can run Sportlines on stock shocks up front, and have god knows what on the rear, will it work, you bet...will you be happy with it, depends on what you want to do with the car...

Last edited by AmericanMuscle33; 07-03-2005 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:59 PM

Cool Re: Eiback sport springs clear my 255/40/17 on front?!

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle33
In my experience Fronts clear no problem....i have Eibach Sportlines on all 4 corners right now, and i'm running a 275/40 series tire on 17x9.5in rims on all 4 corners. I also have my shocks up front set on a relatively soft setting, for drift purposes. Anyhow, my fronts don't rub if i'm at bump mid drift and the suspension is loaded, so as long as your wheels are properly offset, you should have no problem.

Edit: woops, i just noticed your shock question...umm if you have stock shocks, I'm not positive. Even with my shocks on their softest setting, the valving is still prolly better than stock, but I'm still gonna say it'd work. I'm pretty sure i've bottomed out my front supension during turn in and the 275's didn't rub, i say go for it. And if you do have stock shocks, they won't keep up with the Eibachs worth a damn, so be ready for a bouncy ride, as far as life being shortened, i say yes it will, but you prolly won't notice it. Just get the springs and plan on doing shocks in the near future, and just upgrade when you do. You can pretty much do anything, and what decides how well it works, or how happy you'll be with it, merely depends on your application. You can run Sportlines on stock shocks up front, and have god knows what on the rear, will it work, you bet...will you be happy with it, depends on what you want to do with the car...

I really appreciate your post, I couldnt have asked for a better opinion or personal experience!!!! You just made up my mind, I am running them on the front for SURE now, and upgrading my shocks after they wear out
Old 07-04-2005, 02:29 PM

Re: Eiback sport springs clear my 255/40/17 on front?!

I too can verify that the 255 will clear...my buddy has run the two inch drop on his 99 ram air with stock wheels 275/40/17 for years no prob...he has run the stock shocks with no probs either...my guess is the ride might be a little strange front to back with mismatch springs...but that is just a guess...
Old 07-04-2005, 04:08 PM

Thanks guy....I appreciate your .02cents. I bet it will be fine from front to rear.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:41 PM

I'd like to do this too, to give the car a more aggressive stance/look without sacrificing tire space in the back. Is a 2" drop too much upfront though or would 1" be better? I have read something about removing a rubber spacer up front too?? Any opinions? Sorry don't mean to steal your thread but it kinda fits with it..

Thanks,
Craig
Old 07-14-2005, 02:35 PM

No prob, good questions........
Old 07-14-2005, 05:17 PM

My car sits 25.75" in the front and I use 17x11's with 315's. No problems. They are 36mm offset.

I use to have Sportlines (I still have them if anyone wants to buy them!) but they're too low for the stiffness they provide (360 lbs). You'll be bouncing off the bumpstops all the time. If you're going to lower the car in the front, I would get a minimum of a 500 lb spring as a starting point. Some of the guys over on our forum ( www.frrax.com ) are using 600-650 lbs springs. You'll also need a good shock to control it. Don't try to be cheap with shocks, they're one of the best investments you can do for ride quality and handling.

You'll never have the same stiffness in the rear as you do the front. Normally about 125-175 lbs would be what you're looking for in the rear, depending on what you use in the front and what size sway bars you're using.