Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Engine/torque arm removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:36 PM

Engine/torque arm removal

I am in the process of removing my engine and trans from the car. All that is left is unbolting the tranny crossmember and torque arm. Currently I have the front up on jack stands and the rear sitting on the tires. My concern is what will happen when I unbolt the torque arm from the tranny? Is there a procedure to follow that keeps the rearend from twisting around once the torque arm is removed from the tranny? The service manual says to lift the car up, support with jacks on the frame and hold the rear with an adjustable jack until reinstalled but this is difficult to do because I will have to push the car out of the garage once the engine is removed. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Matt
Old 06-19-2006, 07:51 PM

Re: Engine/torque arm removal

The torque arm is not under much load when the car is just sitting there not running. Unbolt it from the axle pumpkin, and soap up the grommit end with soapy water. Then slide it out. The axle won't twist much, and can be put back to normal with a jack. The LCAs hold the axle from twisting all the way around. Not hard, and nothing really happens. The axle just rotates down some. Might want to remove the driveshaft though. I am not sure if the angle is too much that it'll hurt the driveshaft, but it shouldn't be. It angled down maybe 15-20 degrees when I took my torque arm off.

Last edited by MyShibbyZ28; 06-19-2006 at 07:55 PM.